+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting my next strip-built rod

Hybrid View

Default Starting my next strip-built rod

Hi everyone. Getting started planning my nex wood strip-built rod. This one is going to be made from purpleheart wood (a nice, durable wood from Central and South America). Yes, it is purple in color. (See attached picture.)

My question is...

What color of thread for the guide wraps do you recommend? My first strip-built rod was made of ash and the dark brown thread looked nice. I'm planning to use nickle-silver hardware, if that makes a difference. What do you think? Thanks.
    Last edited by Royce; 02-27-2009 at 09:52 PM.

Default 6 strip rod

Are you makeing this out of bamboo with a purple heart seat or the entire rod out of PH ?

Royce -

Assuming the rod will end up the same color as the wood in your picture, or very close, I think a light / medium gray would look great.

Can't wait to see pictures as you get underway on this one - and the finished product.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Bead Pupa View Post
    Are you makeing this out of bamboo with a purple heart seat or the entire rod out of PH ?
    The entire rod will be made of purpleheart. If you are not familiar with the process, the blank is made from 6 strips of wood, glued into a hexagon, then the blank is mounted on a wood turning lathe and the blank is sanded to the desired taper.

Blog Entries

Royce:
    it should be a beautiful rod, as im sure you know wear a mask when working with purple heart as the dust is not good for you.

Have you thought of doing one in spruce, I would think it would be a great wood as it is used in bows and airplanes.

Eric

Default rod

I haven't heard of anyone useing wood to make rods since the 1800's . Am I correct in assuming it's not going to be a fly rod ? It should be cool looking allthough I'm also at a loss as to what color wraps to use . Red maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Bead Pupa View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone useing wood to make rods since the 1800's . Am I correct in assuming it's not going to be a fly rod ? It should be cool looking allthough I'm also at a loss as to what color wraps to use . Red maybe ?
    It will be a fly rod. A couple of months ago I came across the book "Making Strip-Built Fly Roods from Various Woods on a Lathe" by John Betts. My first attempy was from Ash (see attached photos). It turned out pretty good. It is a little softer and slower action than I was hoping for but not too bad. I haven't had a chance to fish it yet but it does throw a 4 wt. line pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Royce:
    it should be a beautiful rod, as im sure you know wear a mask when working with purple heart as the dust is not good for you.

Have you thought of doing one in spruce, I would think it would be a great wood as it is used in bows and airplanes.

Eric
    Eric-
    Thanks for the gentle reminder. I always do wear my dust mask. I use A LOT of purpleheart in various projects. It makes beautiful landing nets. I've attached a picture of a couple, although the picture doesn't do the purpleheart justice.

Someday I will make one using spruce. As of right now I haven't found a source for good, straight-grained spruce.

Royce

Try here for spruce....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/spruce.html

Brad

Have you thought of using the white thead that seems to disappear when a coat of epoxy is painted over it? I've seen boo rods where some sort of technique like that was used and it is just amazing. I'm really speaking as a novice since I don't know the exact technique, but it's cool since the line guides appear to be floating on the wood. However it's done, the wood appears right through the epoxy -- same as it does on my cedar strip canoes. That would be just awesome on that purple wood. JGW

+ Reply to Thread