+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Tying Vise and its attachments

Hybrid View

Smile Your Tying Vise and its attachments

As I sit at my vise tying I am wondering what type of vise and its attachments other tyers use.
    I am using a standard Dyna King Barracuda but have added several attachments . I have , all on the same vise shaft, a McKenzie light and magnifier, small, a bobbin stand and a parachute attachment and less I forget a Griffin hackle guage. WOW!!!! Seems like I have a lot of plumbing hanging off one vise.

I also have the vise set up so that the jaws are even with the table edge. To do that I have the shaft inverted, coming up from the bottom????

What do you think and what is your setup?

Northwoods

Blog Entries

Smile Vise and attachments

Northwoods,

I use a Griffin Patriot Cam Vise, and the only extras I use are the spring to hold some materials and a bobbin cradle which I hardly ever use. I tried some of the other attachments but with my style of tying they only seemed to get in the way of my big hands. So, I tend to keep it simple and I still tie in the manner I was first instructed so many years ago.

Now put those attachments and vise to work and crank out some flies for this spring and summer.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Default Tying Vise and attachments

I must be a minimalist. I use a Regal, sometimes rotary, sometimes fixed. Hackle gage on the vise stem, Griffin waste catcher attached to the stem below the clamp. I had a material clip once, but haven't seen it for several years.
    Good Fishing,
    Arnie

I have a Renzetti with all the trimmings. This is what is currently attached to my stem:
    • Bobbin cradle - I use it all the time
    • Profile plate - I'd be lost without it
    • McKenzie Bright Light - I love it!
    • Gallows tool - eh, it works but it takes some getting used to
    • Whiting hackle gauge - I use it a lot when preparing materials
    I also have the Extended Body Attachment but I only have it because I got it REAL cheap on closeout. I doesn't live permanently on the vise.

It may sound cluttered but after some fine tuning it's all there and out of the way. I also I bought extra stem doohickeys that hold the various "arms". That way I can just move the arm to a new prepositioned doohickey rather than readjust all the time.

I have a Renzetti Master and have a McKensie vise light and only a hackle gauge. I do not like to have a lot of clutter on the vise that I don't need or use.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I have a custom vise I built, basically a cam - action fixed type. I can rotate it to see the other side of the fly or whatever...I added a material spring that I use a lot, and a bobbin rest that I hardly ever use, but it looks cool, and as long as it's out of the way I'll leave it there. I let the stuff fall where it wants, and sweep up from time to time. I use a kidney shaped pan I got during a stay at the hospital to put some of the clippings and crap in, but usually do the drop and sweep. I like to keep it minimum so as to leave me room for my big ol' mitts..............ModocDan

Here's a Scott Sanchez partial quote from a recent article....

" I recommend removing all unnecessary gadgets you have attached to the vise. Vise attachments drive me nuts and get in the way."

+ Reply to Thread