+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Fly Tying Benches

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    About a hundred years ago, my grandmother's indulgent father bought her a mahogany student desk. Time came and time went, and her 5 sons used it. When I was 8, she gave it to me. It lives in the guest room because it is beautiful and small. Then I started tying flies...

The chest under the desk is my Best Fishing Buddy's first attempt to corral my materials and tools. Now it has casters to make it easy to pull out and get stuff out of. The drawers and all the little shelves in the desk make it a natural, and after I added the shelves above, decorated some boxes to hide their true character, and put all the rest of everything in them, it really works a treat to put stuff away when a guest comes. As long as they don't mind the faint smell of moth balls...

And you can't beat the light in the daytime! TV's across the room. Fridge's in the kitchen so I have to stand up and stretch now and then.

Casey, I love it, neat, clean, great natural light and the desk is perfect. No really I love that desk. I want one just like it.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Being a dog breeder, Dr.Fish, I of course really admire your "security system" you've installed for the protection of your tying area as well as your self.
    If not too far off and remembering the bloodlines and pedigree lineage of such a security system, please correct me if I am wrong................. but is that NOT a pure bred "Scottville Spoilededrotten"??
    (Just curious)

As to your tying area and those, also recently posted, I still do not understand how ANY ONE can get any flies tied or anything accomplished.......... with such organization, proper labeling, drawers all marked and the DESK SURFACE VISIBLE!?!
    Obviously, these are like those "Showcase Homes" builders often will build to only show their workmanship and skill. No one actually LIVES in these Showcase Houses, they're too neat and clean and well organized for human habitation!
    WHERE'S the 4 day old, cheese 'samich?? The spilled head cement puddle, that dried in place 9 years ago? The various colors of marabou, floating in permanent suspension, 3' above the area? Coffee cup rings? Beer bottle sweat rings? The 3 week old, donut half?
    At least, Martha Stewart would be proud, I suppose.
    Yup, you nailed the species! Spoiled Rotten is right but she sure is as good a dog as anyone could ever want : )

As for my tying area being neat . . . well I had to tidy it up for the photo. Rest assured when I've been in full scale tying mode for a few days it looks like a truck full of rabbits and shiny Halloween costumes exploded on my desk. There is fur, SF Blend, Polar Flash and other stuff plied high on the desk and on the floor. I know it time to clean up a bit when I have to DIG through the pile to find the thread, scissors, whip finisher and so on. With as many materials as I have though I have to keep things fairly organized or I'd need to hire a search party to find the cross cut rabbit or Mackerel SF Blend : )

There were some newcomers asking about desks, I just had to bump this one back up. Hopefully your sides don't hurt from laughing and you have picked up your jaws from the floor; as well as wiped the drool off your keyboard.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

haha great thread, i got a lot of good ideas, well more ideas on how addicting this really is, and i dont know if anyone else noticed, but in the few pictures where you can see the computer screens, some of them are on this forum!

Default Ideas

Kenny makes these here at the Ranch. Perhaps you might be able to get some ideas from our site.

http://www.littlesouthfork.com/index.html

Denny
    Conranch Hackle
    conranch.com

As someone wrote, my flyshop doesn't have as much stuff as some of you guys. Wow!
    Hey Casey, that's one lovely desk set-up!
    Coughlin
    Last edited by coughlin; 09-18-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

OK. I just showed my wife Dr. Fishes set-up, with the caveat that I DON'T have too much tying stuff.
    I made the mistake of telling her what he does for a living.
    Her response? "If you had a job like that, you could have a room like that!"

Damn! Foiled again.

Kirk
    (who just snuck another pack of coneheads into the house today)

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default A valiant but foolish attempt!

Hi Crazy,

You are more than old enough to know that you are never going to win a contest of that type with your wife. Even if you had a job like Dr. Fish, the rules would change well before you could claim victory. However, I do have to admire a couragous try. Take care! 8T

My wreck

+ Reply to Thread