+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Benches

Hybrid View

Default Fly Tying Benches

I'm looking for good bench designs, so can any of you post pictures, links or ideas about fly tying benches? I'll appreciate it.

I'm not saying your bench should look like this, but it's an idea to start with.

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Don't do, THIS!
    Often times, search parties are sent out, to find me for dinner...........

However, me thinks, you're maybe asking about "types & styles?
    Like anything, in fly-obsessing,(newer members, call it "Fly Tying"), "personal preference" will be your guiding force and of course.......... "how much ROOM" one has to begin with.
    My, "cave", is an entire room. One, small, corner is set aside for a home office, but the rest is taken up with fly-obsessing and gear.
    Somewhere, underneath it all, I started with a 6-foot folding plastic table, from Costco. That gave me a "base" to sort of start with. On top of that.........went an "Oasis Turntable copy" tying set up, that I made myself. Then, cabinets, boxes, drawers, drawers on wheels, shelves on the walls, shelving units, ans the floor all sort of "grew out" from, and around, the starting table.

Years ago, I purchased one of the actual "fly tying table setups", with the various slots and holes and a place to clamp or set a vise. It lasted about 6 months, before I was out of room.
    Everyone has to decide on their own, really, "Just HOW MUCH space", to dedicate to your hobby, obsession,sickness, sport, whichever way you care to look at it!?
    Last edited by flybinder; 04-13-2008 at 07:34 PM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I feel much better, now. Thanks Paul!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Smile Fly Tying Desk

Ken Y,

Since you didn't set a price limit, what would be my favorite fly tying table would be the 2002 Model built by Desks By Charles. The company is a sponsor of FAOL and when I have the room, I will be ordering this desk.

Larry ---sagefisher---

http://www.fly-tying-desks-by-charle...k_Desk_029.jpg
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I like computer desks......

Smile Bench LIghting

I have been examing the px's of benches and wonder what type of lighting tiers are using? Seems to be lots of different approaches. For me I have a small McKenzie high intensity lamp mounted on a flexible shaft which is itself mounted on the vise shaft. Other than general room lighting thts all i use. How about the other setups?

Northwoods

Dave,
    Nice setup. Tell me you staged this before taking the picture. No self-respecting tying room should be this clean and organized.
    God Bless America

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    Dave,
    Nice setup. Tell me you staged this before taking the picture. No self-respecting tying room should be this clean and organized.
    Obviously the sign of a sick mind if it's that nice all the time. I actually have a friend whose tying area is always that neat. The sicko puts things away when he's finished using them, and has a spreadsheet program complete with bin locations for all of his materials. I certainly hope he comesback to the land of the living soon.

I don't keep worms in Mama's fridge, but I do have a whole wood duck in the freezer in the garage. It's wrapped in white butcher paper, so she thinks it's a roast or something.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Smile

Hate to say it but some just have to have everything even if they will never use half of it in a lifetime--- I just have to think back to my dad in the 30's when a couple boxes in the trunk of the car was all he used on the stream and in the house. We tied with the hook in our fingers some yarn, few hackles, silk un waxed thread.... I have a tying room in my new house and never need a fifth of some of these pictures. Joe V -- Fishbum has a room like yours. Lathe drillpress workbench. Wonder if he is putting his bamboo together on the pool table. BILL

+ Reply to Thread