+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custer State Park, SD

Default Custer State Park, SD

My wife and I are heading down to Custer State Park this weekend for our 6th anniversary!!!!! However, I know nothing about the park. We are looking for a quiet camping area for tents that MUST be close to fishing access. I'm going to try my luck with some hopper action. Your help is appreciated.

------------------
    See you in the hills

Al Campbell wrote a article about his "Home Waters - Custer State Park" before his death. You will find it at the url listed below. ~Parnelli

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac072803.html:36097]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac072803.html[/url:36097]

DMB,

There is a tent campground right across the street from the Grace Coolidge Walk-In fishing area. Walking up the creek, there are 4 or 5 stock dams with some nice trout. Try hoppers and some ant patterns. Also, I've had a ton of success with EHC on all of them. There are also some teeny tiny brookies all along the creek between the dams.
    Also, check out the article Al wrote on Castle Creek and Deerfield Lake. You won't be very far from there. Lots of opportunities in the Hills. If you have any doubts, Just ask Betty!
    It's beautiful all around, and most of the crowds are already headed home! Enjoy your trip out!

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac063003.html:d3ad1]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac063003.html[/url:d3ad1]

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Trying to jog my memory,5 or 6 years ago, I tried to walk in a canyon on a Loop road(??)in the state park. The big brown shaggies were in the stream all over the lower end of a canyon. I decided I didn't trust them, so I went toward the upper end and drove in a ways to a horse camp area. There I walked down stream and found several pools of good browns. Sorry can't be more specific, I was taking a rest day while heading toward YNP and can't locate my maps.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that was the French Creek Walk-In area. Lower part of the map inside the Wildlife Loop.
    If you drive the Loop, and stop to feed the burros, be careful. Several years ago, while feeding them, my wife reached into the car for more bread. One of the critters nipped her on the butt. They're not shy!

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Kytroutbum - yes - that would have been French Cr. There are some off-roads within the loop that get you closer to the creek in the middle of the loop - but then you need to slide down canyon walls in places.

DMB - not to shy you away from the waters of the park (those waters along could keep you happily FFing for a week +) but yes - Castle Cr (below Deerfield Res.) is a great spot. From the lodge in the park - you're about a 45 minute drive.

My 2-cents (CDN) advice - as passed on to myself - pick up a copy of Steve Kinsella's book - Trout Fishing in the Black Hills. Very helpful on finding places. I picked it up at Dakota Angler & Outfitters (they were quite helpful as well).

Let us know how you do ...

Thanks for all the great info. I fished Castle Creek and Deerfield this spring and did very well. I've just never been in the park. I read a little about the Grace walk in area and saw a map of the campground. We'll try there first...hopefully there will be some tent spots left.

Being new at fly fishing, I stopped at Dakota Angler to shoot the bull and pick up some tips...they were great to talk to and were more than helpful. I'll let you know how it goes.

------------------
    See you in the hills

Watch for the big " brown shaggies" in the Grace Coolidge area. They like to visit in that camping area!! This spring we watched a real round up of the buffs, by the rangers, using bull whips, to run the beasties up and over the ridge! (the buffs were getting too friendly in the camping area...with the campers) It was incredible!!!!! Fantastic fishing in the lake and the walk in area. French Creek, near the horse camping area, was all but gone (did catch a bass in the camp lake), and the hike in area was tough...few and far between...but a real pretty hike.
    Kinsella's book is a great resource.
    Can't give you much on the camp areas...my idea of good camping is at the Best Western!
    ------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places

[This message has been edited by Betty Hiner (edited 23 August 2005).]
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm sure you will have no problem getting a tent site at the Center Lake Campground.

Center Lake overflows into the Grace Coolidge walk in area. The lake itself is good for 'Bows (size 18 Parachute Adams)

TL's
    Jack

DMB -
    Good luck, and please post a report when you get back. I'm vacationing in the Black Hills area the week of 9/5, and I think I remember Betty H saying she would be up that way also.
    George

+ Reply to Thread