+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Green Mountain Line ...YUK!

Hybrid View

Default Orvis Green Mountain Line ...YUK!

Orvis Green Mountain Line...yup, the stuff that was on sale this winter...stinks in my opinion.

Very stiff...almost seems abrasive, sounds like a zipper ripping through the guides.

Oh well for 5.00 I got a stiff, not so "floatey" line...it worked for my experiment to overline my 9' 3 wt...didn't care for that result either....sure beat spending a lot more on that experiment.

An aside, the leaders and tippets I bought for next to nothing are all quite fine...no old stuff yet!

Well, not to sound like a wise-a** or anything, but what did you really expect for $5? Orvis doesn't even sell that line any more. Glad the leaders and tippet met'l worked out for you.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    Orvis Green Mountain Line...yup, the stuff that was on sale this winter...stinks in my opinion.

Very stiff...almost seems abrasive, sounds like a zipper ripping through the guides.

Oh well for 5.00 I got a stiff, not so "floatey" line...it worked for my experiment to overline my 9' 3 wt...didn't care for that result either....sure beat spending a lot more on that experiment.

An aside, the leaders and tippets I bought for next to nothing are all quite fine...no old stuff yet!
    I bought a bunch of the leaders and, like your experience, they seem fine. I didn't buy the fly line and, based on your review, am glad I passed.

Thanks,
    Jeff

well, this was actually a thought out dunder headed move..I think.

the thought was to try and overline this stick...cheaply...it worked, though it failed on account of the crappy line and well, it just didn't work.

Why not take that El Cheapo line and put it on a separate spool and use it to catch them silly little trout you find in little creeks. That way you can save your real good WF lines for something more important - like crappie & gills!!

Sorry - I could not contain myself.

Tim

9', 3 wt - nice.

I never understood why someone would fish a 7 or 7 1/2' fly rod. Those are spinning rod lengths.

The best use of a couple of those $5 fly lines that are two different colors is to use them for knot tying demos. Fly line that is two different colors really does a wonderful job of making it so everyone can really see what is going on with the knot. Knot demos with 7X just gets people wondering what you are talking about. The other really nice application would be for friends that you take fly fishing that aren't skilled flyfisherman. This way when they step on line while standing on sharp rocks, you won't have much to loose. I looked at those on Ebay and thought that they might be great for the kids.

Rick

Get it REAL dirty and use it as a full sinking line to swing streamers.
    Last edited by JohnScott; 04-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Amazingly, I have caught several hundred trout on one of those lines, which worked just fine for me. Huh. Go figure. It isn't a $60 SA, but it works.

Thinking of the clue...."It sings, through the guides, it's so stiff", ya' might try stretching the first 60 feet, before fishing with it and you might just be pleasantly surprised with your bargain line!??! (maybe, maybe not, but it usually works well with stiff coated lines).
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm with DG on this one .... I bought a 4wt line and put it on my 3wt reel and I've been having a ball with it. I've had this line on my reel for about 4 months and I've mentally kicked myself a couple of times for not getting another.

Tim, that was funny.

+ Reply to Thread