+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone fish the Monterey, CA area for trout?

Default Anyone fish the Monterey, CA area for trout?

I'll be out there on business the first weekend in May. A local fly shop directed me to some striper and perch surf fishing, but I kindly explained that I'm really a trout bum...

He mentioned TWO places.

1) The upper Carmel River

2) Salmon Creek above the falls

I don't know what any of this means, but I'm excited to try em out. If any of you have experience in these areas please let me know! I've heard there's been a decline in these trout fisheries due to damming and irrigation, and that they are near worthless now, but I am forever the optimist and am determined to find some fine trout fishing while I'm out there.

Thanks in advance!

Casey

jcntheriver Guest

Cool fishing monterey ca.

Hey There Cp, I lived in Monterey Ca. back in 1978 I was in Fort Ord. military base monterey bay side off rt.101 never knew of a trout stream nearby but, believe you me I would have fished it if I did. Go to Google earth and take a look with the satelite hook -up , If you have a name of the river type it in search. Hope this Helps you Jcntheriver

Jeff
    Get the Led Out!

It's been years since I fished the Monterey/Carmel area for trout. The Carmel river is known for it kayaking with class III rapids. Here is a link that may be of some help. http://www.centralcoastflyfishing.co...y/Monterey.htm
    Trout don't speak Latin.

There is the Nacimiento river...but that is about 100 miles south of Monterey..decent trout population. http://californiaangler.com/roberts.htm

5. Default

The carmel river does have trout. There is a damm wich feeds the river. Its a drive, threw carmel valley, into carmel village. And I belive about 10 miles to the top.
    You'll need a map, but I used to fish there just walking down the stream from the damm. I had many good days.
    Wish I still lived there, Id join you. Moved from Monterey last March.

+ Reply to Thread