+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms L2 or Freestone??

Default Simms L2 or Freestone??

Yep another wader question. Decided I would take up fly fishing a few months ago and all I've done to this point it tie flies which has been a whole lot more entertaining and enjoyable than I could have ever imagined. However now that I have all of these flies I suppose I should follow the natural progression and actually go fishing and need to buy some waders. I can't afford the G3 Guide Waders so I am either going to get Simms Freestone or Simms L2. Other than the L2's being made from real gore-tex are there any other reasons to get the L2's over the Freestones? Thanks in advance for any input.

Tom

Never used the L2 but I really like my freestones. They're comfortable, not too heavy, keep me dry. There's really nothing more I need from waders.

I'd like to get a pair with more bells and whistles just because I'm a gear junkie and like the bells. But for just keeping me dry and comfortable, the freestones work fine. If they ever leak or wear out, I would most likely buy another pair of the freestones and apply the savings to other needed gear (like a new vest, new rod(s), or fur & feathers for tying more flies. I can't do something like actually save or invest the money now could I?

Jeff

Tom,

To be completely honest I don't know which Simms waders I've got. I do know they arn't the G3's (way outside my price range). They are GORTEX. I've had them just over two years and I love them. While they don't look new any more, they are holding up well and as far as I'm concerned one of the best equipment decisions I've made so far. I doubt you'll have any regrets with any choice as long as it's a Simms model.
    Joe Bertolini

The L2's are great because they are goretex. The Freestones are definitely a decent wader if you are trying to do it on a budget. They both have very similar acoutrements and the goretex only costs $50 more. The Gore will definitely help to keep you dry in the hot months of the summer, but I usually wet wade so it wouldnt make much difference in that case. The only real difference in manufacturing is the Goretex versus non goretex. Personally I feel the Goretex would be a little more rugged, but I havent owned or tried the freestones so I cant comment on that.

Tom -

To start with, I'm a Gortex fan, bigtime, for all my outdoor weather gear. So you know I'm prejudiced to the L2 over the Freestone.

BUT - I have a pair of Simms Lightweight waders, which I am pretty sure are the predecessor to the L2 ( comparing features and price and place in the Simms line-up ).

I put over 300 days on the Lightweights before I got a good buy on a pair Classic Guide waders. And the Lightweights are still quite serviceable - good for warmer weather, not so good for temps around freezing or below.

For the extra $50, I think you will be delighted with the product you get.

John
    The fish are always right.

This is my eighth year with the lites. Some heavy use, but I am careful.

Appreciate the input. Maybe the store will be out of both and I'll be forced.....forced to get the G3"s. I guess I could just forgo the nice fishpond vest I had my eye on and just strap on my cheap $20 Wallmart camo fanny pack, get the G3's and be done with it.

Tom

Check with Sierra Trading Post for a vest. They have some willy J stuff and you might find that you can afford the G3's AND a vest

Just an update and hopefully I didn't make a mistake but ran into a pair of Patagonia Watermaster Light Waders this afternoon that were being closed out for $99. Snatched em up as it was the stores last pair. Hopefully they will last a while. Time will tell.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread