+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have issues...

Hybrid View

Default I have issues...

Regarding my casting. I have tried casting so many ways. I did the 10:00-2:00 thing, 9:00-1:00, tucking my arm in (which actually helped a little). I even bought a book by Lefty Kreh, which has some good info, but for some reason, on my forward cast the tailing end of the loop drops waaaay down and when it goes to straighten out, the fly grabs the line and my line looks like a lasso laying on the water. Or maybe a noose..... Depends on how you look at it. What the loop looks like is an issue better left to another thread...

A good snatch and some colorful phrases will straighten it out while it's on the water, but I'd rather avoid that. I've tried using better loop control, but it seems the loop doesn't want to cooperate with me. I even count on my back cast, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi and then I forward cast. I also keep my wrist straight. I don't think I'm over or under powering it. Every so often I can get a tight, beautiful loop and it looks so nice, I have to keep trying.

I thought I may have been using too heavy a fly. A 4wt should be able to handle a size 8 fly shouldn't it? I also noticed that when my rod was fixed by JB Weld at the ferrule, the eyes weren't lined up as straight as they should be. Another observation left me thinking that maybe 40 to 60+ feet casts are too much for a 7'6" 4wt.... So a little practice session almost left my rod in pieces in Shoal Creek...

Does anyone have a suggestion? Is there a special group I can attend, like a Crappy Casters Club? A "good" video? I've looked at YouTube and wasn't impressed with the videos I found there. I couldn't see the whole rod, or it was all a straight forward shot of the guy casting...
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Without seeing your casting technique live its hard to tell, but I would venture a quess that since you are trying for over 40 feet that you need to open up your casting stroke more. Sounds like your casts are underpowered.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Joe;
    I'm in agreement with Tyronefly.
    To make sure you are not breaking your wrist try sticking the butt in your shirt cuff or put your index finger on top to the grip.
    When you practice do it for only 30-45 minutes at a time max.
    If I could convince you to get yourself over here I would get you togather with a good friend of mine that is a FFF certified casting instructor as well and a cane and graphite rod builder. He does not charge for lessons and is a fine teacher. He believes in teaching the basics and let you develop your own style. He will also share his rod building secrets as well.
    P.S. He also owns a liquor store!!
    P.P.S. You could also sign the "Hat" if you made it this weekend!

You need a qualified flycasting instructor to take a look at you technique. It's probably something that can be worked out quickly with proper help.

Since you asked, I highly recommend Joan Wulff's DVD, Dynamics of Fly Casting. It's one of the best. You can find where to order it on line.
    God Bless America

Joe;
    See, jcampbell agrees with me!

I absolutely DARE you to go to this link, print it and take it outside and do EXACTLY what it says. Your money back if it doesn't fix your casting... (or come to our 'Fish-In's',,, get it fixed for free,,,)
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst3498.php

Joe;
    Yes that works. I've seen JC use it twice to teach someone to cast with their offhand too!
    But Shucks JC I've been trying to get joe to come over and fish with Warren, Popperfly, Doublewide and myself for about a month and you done ruint it!!

Aw, well,,, Joe, if you do get those guys to help you with your casting,
    there is no hope for you at all!

JC, I will definitely take you up on your dare! And if it doesn't work, just remember that I have to pay for internet in order to have access to that....
    It's just cheap dial-up anyway....

Jack, Coming up there to fish, the liquor store, signing the hat, the liquor store, meeting more fly anglers, the liquor store, getting my issues fixed, the liquor store, getting some rod building tips, and the liquor store all sounds like a really good weekend, especially the liquor store, but I have other issues besides my crappy casting and the liquor store. Who knows a trip to the liquor store here may fix my casting....Hopefully with this new job, I can make it up there soon. Probably within the month.
    Besides, our county is getting stocked with rainbows in two different streams on the 13th. Hopefully I'll have this rod done by then so I can break it in.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

joerogrz,

Try going to
    Click here: FlyFisherman.com and check out the video "The creep and jab". It explains a little about a tailing loop which sounds like your problem. Hope this helps out.

+ Reply to Thread