Cool, thanks for the advice! Though after reading the Stormy Seas website my concerns about fly vest access seem a bit silly considering the stories from the crab boat
;~)
However one big consideration was that I don't want to transfer and reorganize all my vest gear when switching from hippers to waders and float tube. I'm a strong swimmer and I don't panic easily (EXCEPTION -- charging moose. happened before, on land...)

After reading the replies here, I will probably go for the belt pack PFD for my float tube. I'd have to be smacked in the head by an irate seagull dropping rocks to not be able to pull the cord on an inflatable and pull it over my head. I'm fishing tiny 1-10 acre lakes in the colorado mountains, not the Bering sea, Spinney Mtn, or Lake John. (the last 2 are our local 'big water')

BUT, thanks Mr J Castwell, if I can ever afford a little pontoon boat, I believe I'll follow your recommendations from your article! Oh, and, just got permission to use my Dad's old Grumman aluminum canoe next year. The prices on those stormy water vests are pretty darn reasonable. I grew up in Michigan on the Manistee, and not wearing a life vest was about the only thing kids in my family ever got swatted on the butt for.

Spinney Mtn here we come....

and thanks again

DAN