you mentioned you didnt have any bucktail so you just used deer tail. i thought they were the same thing. whats the difference between the two? if its between male and female deer ive used them both from deer family or friends shot, and ive never noticed any difference
There is none that I have ever seen. You will notice that Bob Clouser calls it "deer tail" more often than not in his books and videos. Hareline buys thousands of tails from meat processors etc, and all they do is sort them by size. Most retailers don't even sell tails broken down by size, though some do. Clouser himself sells two varieties "short" with hair 3 inches or less and "long" with hair 3 inches or longer. I have about a dozen different bucktails, and depending who I got them from, they are roughly 2 different general sizes. One I would call medium, that are about 8 inches long by 4 inches wide, and most of the hair length is less than 3 inches, and ones I call large that are at least 10 inches long by 5 inches wide, and have alot of fibers longer than 3 inches. I use them interchangeably.