Hi Folks,
a few weeks ago (months maybe) s omeone was asking for assistance in locating bobbins to accomodate the Sulky threads, Kreinik threads and braided materials and also the Gutermann silk threads. I went through my stuff trying to locate who my source for the bobbins I own might be.
First of all, there are at least two bobbin types available that I know about. The first (my fav) is made by Griffin, same guys as makers of tying tools and vises. It is the tradidtional metal tube with ceramic lining and actually has a spring and screw down knob that will allow use with a regualr spool of thread as well as the elongated ones. I think I ordered it through Feathercraft.

The second type is entirely plastic and is made by Gudebrod. It came as a pkg of three for about $10 and I may have ordered it through Cabela's. I have had these for at least 12 years and maybe longer and I have not seen them in any of the more recent catalogs of the two aforementioned shops. That does not mean that they are no longer available though.Those interested might try going to Guudebrod website or call / write their plant in Pottstown, Pa. (P.O. Box 357).

Krienik also has a website with a flytying section that may have something available. The BIG problem with Kreinik is that they will not sell directly to the customer. They will deal ONLY with the flyshops and then they force purchase of large quantities which makes it tough for the smalll flyshops who may need only a few items. I stopped buying their stuff for that reason.....NOT NICE AND DIFFICULT TO DO BUSINESS WITH.

Griffen may have supplies of their bobbin available if you call and talk to them. They ARE nice and try to be helpful. If I can succeed at taking a photo of my bobbins, I will try to get it posted for those who were asking about these bobbins. I am anxious to try my new discovery of the Guttermann silk threads for this season's trout flies.
Wish I could have been of more help but this is the best I can come up with after so long a searching period.