+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This was a first for me........

Default This was a first for me........

First time I've ever caught one of these guys on a fly.

One has to use care in retrieving the fly.
    Last edited by okieflyfisheman; 04-07-2008 at 03:39 PM.
    Larry

Yeah it happens and don't use glass beaded flies. They will bite the beads off the hook.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Just need a big Bullfrog to complete your amphibian fishing merit badge.

Heard a very loud gulp last summer and yup, this BIG bullfrog had a hold of my fly...put up quite a tussle too...needless to say, he won and got to keep the fly.

Default Bull frog

Funny you mentioned bullfrogs I was at a pond on Sunday and landed the biggest frog I have ever seen. It hit a black wooly bugger about six feet off shore.

Been waiting for that to happen to me. There are tons of turtles in the ponds/lakes in which I fish. Had one go after a popper once and I about laughed myself to death.

I believe the line will be cut. The fly doesn't mean that much to me.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Fast little scutters

Yup, caught one of those myself. It's amazing how fast they can move when chasing a fly. I could barely strip fast enough to stay ahead of one one day. The one I caught snuck up from below and grabbed it.

TxEngr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    Just need a big Bullfrog to complete your amphibian fishing merit badge. <snip>.

Ummmm, technically turtles are reptiles, not amphibians. Worse I ever saw my 6th grade teacher (a sweet, little, old lady) flustered was when I mentioned that and she asked me to prove the differences. When I got to the point that amphibians reproduce by external fertilization and reptiles use internal fertilization, she cut my explanation short. At the lunch table that day, I had a lot of questions from the other students, mainly about birds and bees, not turtles.

Ed, who was mainly a non-fiction sort of child

Ahh, caught practicing a little poetic license.

Default snapping turtle

When i was a boy I was fishing in the Mississippi river near Winona Minn. I had a chicken heart on a line (I was going for catfish) and I was messing with the rod with the bait suspended just below the surface of the water, when all of a sudden this huge and horrible looking head popped up from the depths and grabbed the bait - nearly scarred me to death. It was a good sized snapping turtle. I cut the line as there was no way i was about to put my fingers anywhere near that turtles mouth.

I've had them grab at flies occasionally, but i've never yet had one hang on like that. Nice catch!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread