+ Reply to Thread

Thread: when swimming

Default when swimming

I when fishing yesturday the river was high and muddy i cross the river ok but when i try to come back a cross i fell in it took my a hour to get out of the log jam i ended up in i lost my cell phone and camera.Now i will not leave my wading staff in the car so if you have one use it or get one

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nyfisherman View Post
    I when fishing yesturday the river was high and muddy i cross the river ok but when i try to come back a cross i fell in it took my a hour to get out of the log jam i ended up in i lost my cell phone and camera.Now i will not leave my wading staff in the car so if you have one use it or get one
    Yep might have saved me a broken arm last fall. ( no pun intended )
    Same with good wading boots.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

Smile No fish is worth it

Nyfisherman,

Sounds like you had a close encounter of the close to death type. You were very lucky to be able to get out of that situation alive. Yes, I carry a wading staff. I also always wear an inflatable PFD if I am on any water other than the smallest of streams. I have my cell phone and wallet in a Zip Lock freezer bag. But, also, I never venture out into water that is above my knees unless it is slow moving water. There is so much force to water that if you loose your footing the water can take you down river, under sweepers or log jams or jam you between rocks under the water, or, any thing that you can think of that is bad. I love to fish but I love life as well and I will not put myself into any situation that could turn dangerous when it comes to water. I have seen too many people drown; I don't want to be one of them. No fish is worth placing your life at risk.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I have not fallen in,,, yet. But, I think that it is not skill nor luck. I'm just a bloody coward when wading rivers. I have been a mite concerned a time or two though.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Ive been wading for years....the Rogue, N. Umpqua (the slickest of all) Chetco, Smith, Clackamas........Etc. Never have fallen. Had a disaster in the Rogue about 25 years
    back while I was on a float trip with innertubes......... Some of the newbies had a problem slidin over a big ol sweeper, and some nearly drowned, and all but me lost their tubes. Everybody survived with minor injuries and scared.... Thing is, I learned something about overconfidence, and I been way careful ever since. Last year I had my hip replaced and that slowed me down a little more. I never go without a staff, walking or wading. I recommend never wading without a staff, a waist belt, and maybe a PFD of some kind....Never take it for granted.................................Dan

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Call me a little old lady but.........

I don't even walk along stream banks without my wading staff. I've always got my wading staff in one hand and my fly rod in the other when I'm going from one place to another, even on dry ground. It's saved me from falls on gravel bars in less than two inches of water. It's saved me from from a ski ride down a mud bank in felt sole waders. It's allowed me to poke around suspicious logs that did harbor snakes. It's helped me fend off several less than friendly dogs. I should add that I have no locomotion impairment but I grew up in the Colin Fletcher school of backpacking and have always walked with a staff in one hand. Just my two cent percent of dollar. When fishing I just let the wading staff go and drift on its tether cord.

NYfisherman, I'm glad the you didn't have a worse experience than you did. That wading staff can be worth its weight in gold. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 04-08-2008 at 04:37 PM.

In younger days, I never used a staff. I waded in water where somebody should have kicked my butt. I took a bath or two, (or three or so) with no consequence other that getting wet and cold. Later on, the knees started giving up, and one has been replaced with metal and plastic, and the other one should be. Wading seemed to get much more difficult, and the South Fork Twostep became impossible to execute, which resulted in the refining process of the impromptu bathing experience. I don't wade wild water any more, and always use a staff and belt when there's any possibility of taking a plunge. It just isn't enjoyable any more. Curtails the day's activities. The worst flop I ever took, was in about a foot of water, within 5 feet of the bank. Too hurried to get to the truck. Both knees and right thumb came face to face with volcanic rocks on the streambed. It still hurts to think about it. A staff would have, in all probability, prevented it.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I haven't gotten around to using a wading staff. Don't know that I will. I come from just the opposite approach as far as hiking goes - never could stand the noise that those things make, and the fuss and bother of one more thing to account for.

Lew's comment on the South Fork Two Step reminded me of a close call a few days ago. Wading with rubber soled boots in a moderate current about hip deep. Somehow ( ?? ) I lost my footing, and then my balance. At the fourth or fifth off balance slipping step, I could see that I was going to be completely under, no way to avoid it when I went down, I would have water a good foot or more over my head. And it was just about freezing that day, with a half mile walk back to the rig.

SOMEHOW, step five or six, or whatever it was, found a secure spot, I went upright, and stayed that way.

I did change out to the felt soles the next day.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    ...and always use a staff and belt when there's any possibility of taking a plunge.
    This is an important reminder -- glad you're safe.

Also, as Lew pointed out, don't forget your wading belt. Open waders in a current with no belt -- well, doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are or how strong your staff is....
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread