My experience thus far......(And it aint a lot!)

I use a number of tips and attach to the one line on my rod. I, find that it works for me. Helps me to change to the situation without having to carry extra spools.
I guess if you were stillwater fishing, you'd need a full spool of sinking line. But for most fishing experiences on the stream, I'd say give the multi-tip a try.
I DON"T have a multi tip system. I have a heavy sinking tip; an intermediate sinking; different lenghts of knotted leaders (mono); and a braided leader. The last two I've done just to be able to say I've tried to make them..you know...experience is the best teacher.
In other words, I've picked them up individually.

I DO like a sinking tip better than putting shot; I always seem to snag the damn things every time. Usually end up saying 'colourful' words....know what I mean?

I have a friend who uses NOTHING but a mono leader. Carries different weights of the flies and/or casts further upstream to give the fly time to reach the depth to the spot he's fishing. And when he weights certain flies, he WEIGHTS them! HEAVY!

There are so many different ways. I say try them all out. I'm a pretty unorthodox fisherman. And it's amazing the different ways I've managed to catch 'fish on the fly'.

Have fun. Take care.

Bad Luck Larrissimo