+ Reply to Thread

Thread: multi tip lines vs sink tip

Hybrid View

Default multi tip lines vs sink tip

I have seen alot flyline manufactures jumping on the multi tip fly line bandwagon... I have read some reviews both good and bad...braided loops too big for flyrod guides etc....I sure some of you have at least tried them I would like you opinion...

Flyfisher121

I've used an AirFlo-Multi Tip for several years now and find a lot to like about it. I'm not carrying extra spools, to go from floating line, to sink tip line, or many extra spools to go through the various sink rates of tips, that the line comes with.
    Obviously, too,for the original $90.00, I ended up with "more or less 5 fly lines", instead of 5 lines, for say "$60.00 each".
    I haven't used anyone else's brand, so can't judge those. But the loop to loop on the AirFlo hasn't been a problem with my rod guides at all.
    Before, if I wished to change from "floating to sink-tip" while belly boating I had to reel everything in, change reel spools, re-rig the whole rod and start all over. Not always, easy, in a belly boat with limited room. Also the same scenario while fishing from my 'Tooner.
    I also can keep the various tips pre-rigged with leader and tippets, all fitted into the nylon "wallet" that comes with the AirFlo lines.
    I was moved over to the Multi-Tip, after trying to do this "re-rig" in my belly boat and dropped an extra spool to my Sage #304 into the lake I was fishing. (Reel spools, even full of floating line, don't float well!).
    Some people like them, some don't. Some complain about "the hinging effects" of a multi-tip line. That may be true, but it hasn't been enough of a problem, for me, to offset the advantages these type lines are designed for.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Thanks

I have had the loose the extra spool in the lake... fortunately the lake was shallow enough and water warm enough I could retrieve it...Iam going to purchase one of the multi tip in the near future thankyou again for input
    Flyfisher121

Blog Entries

Default Here's a 'tip' from me!HA!

My experience thus far......(And it aint a lot!)

I use a number of tips and attach to the one line on my rod. I, find that it works for me. Helps me to change to the situation without having to carry extra spools.
    I guess if you were stillwater fishing, you'd need a full spool of sinking line. But for most fishing experiences on the stream, I'd say give the multi-tip a try.
    I DON"T have a multi tip system. I have a heavy sinking tip; an intermediate sinking; different lenghts of knotted leaders (mono); and a braided leader. The last two I've done just to be able to say I've tried to make them..you know...experience is the best teacher.
    In other words, I've picked them up individually.

I DO like a sinking tip better than putting shot; I always seem to snag the damn things every time. Usually end up saying 'colourful' words....know what I mean?

I have a friend who uses NOTHING but a mono leader. Carries different weights of the flies and/or casts further upstream to give the fly time to reach the depth to the spot he's fishing. And when he weights certain flies, he WEIGHTS them! HEAVY!

There are so many different ways. I say try them all out. I'm a pretty unorthodox fisherman. And it's amazing the different ways I've managed to catch 'fish on the fly'.

Have fun. Take care.

Bad Luck Larrissimo

+ Reply to Thread