Thread: Caddis

Threaded View

Default Caddis

I just finished Gary Lafontaine's book on Caddis. What a great book! I've read selected portions of it twice and plan to re-read others a third time just to better digest the depth and breathe of information. Now for the fun part. I've been looking at the insect distribution and community populations of one of my favorite local streams and caddis do indeed make up a significant portion of the macro invertebrates. Ceratopsyche morose (formally Hydropysche morose) AKA "Spotted Sedge" and Cheumatopsyche (genera) AKA "Little Sister Sedge" make up the bulk of the Caddis population.

I've reviewed the tying and pattern info that Lafontaine recommends and intend to start working on some patterns for the upcoming season. The difficulty I'm presented with is in determining some of the body colors he's referring to. As an example a sparkle pupa is listed as brown body with yellow antron bubble. Okay, which of the browns should I use? I know the best option will be to do some local sampling and use the collected insects to make the final determination and I intend to do just that. But in the interest of having a few patterns to at least attempt to tempt a fish with any suggestions on colors for the above mentioned species?

I've been to the Trout Nut site and studied the available samples but it's still pretty thin on information, particularly on emerging pupae.

Any of you Caddis nuts out there want to chime in? I'd appreciate any guidance or suggestions you might have.
    Last edited by alra195; 04-05-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: 'cuase when you copy from WORD it FUBAR's some characters!
    Joe Bertolini