+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky River, N.E. Ohio

Default Rocky River, N.E. Ohio

Mother Nature seems to be fickle; espscially if your a weekend fisher on the Rocky. Thursday, 4/3, conditions on the Rocky reached great. Then M.N. woke up and thought, 'Opps, weekend is coming...time to make it rain.' But there is a silver lining to this cloud, the warm and sunny days we've had this week has thawed out the ground and there is substatially less runoff; or at least the runoff isn't laden with silt.

Though, there are a number of areas where the river looks like a bottle of Yoohoo there are streches that haven't been too affected by the recent night long rains. Yes, the river and flow is up http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?04201500 but should (my opn) settle in time to fish this weekend, or at least by Saturday afternoon. Plus, and this is a biggie...the Weather Gurus are saying we should expect a sunny and warm weekend with highs hitting 60 on Sunday! If you are willing to forage away from your normal areas you can find spots that are not perfectly ideal but fishable til then.

Get the gear ready guys and gals looks like we're going fishing this weekend.
    Fish on,
    Jim

http://blogs.clemetparks.com/rocky-r...ishing-report/
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Jimmy,
    I have a number of jobs to do this weekend, but you just might get a call & maybe even some "company" this Sunday....AFTER Mass of course.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Unfortunately I have family in town this weekend for my daughters baptism. Hopefully things look good for Wednesday when I have a day off. Good luck to all that get out.
    Erich

I fish the vermilion and its been crappy. have to resort to small creeks instead.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Sunday The Rocky River was cloudy but very fishable. Several anglers were seen catching steelhead. I had two break off and I think that it's important to note that it is not advisable to fish with a broken wrist. To quote Jacky Gleeson in Smoky and The Bandit ''You can think about it but don't you do it'' about sums up the experience.

Two smallmouth bass in the 2 lbs. range were caught and released and nowhere as unpleasant to catch but again not advisable with a broken wrist.

Suckers are running and are very thick and amazing to watch. They were actually jumping out of the river onto the banks and ford.

Park Rangers are out and checking fishing licenses and limits, 2 on steelheads; unlimited on the suckers but you can not snag them or net them.

Today was almost perfect conditions and if it dose not rain in the next 24 hours tomorrow will be perfect.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 04-07-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: ops
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Unhappy April showers...

'April showers bring May flowers' as the saying goes, unfortunately it also brings rising and cloudy conditions on the river. Again, Mother Nature has awaken just in time for the weekend. This past week anglers on the Rocky experienced sunny days and temps in the 60's and some very good fishing conditions.

Just like last week here comes the rain, just in time to mess with the weekend fisher who is unable to sneak out of work in time to wet a line on the way home. Current readings have the river stabilizing in flow and hieght after rains in the wee hours of Friday; but unlike last week a cold front is on its way. Heavy rains are expected Friday eve, and off and on showers all thru the weekend. To throw salt into the wound high temps are are only expected to reach the low 40's and all the Weather Gurus are including SNOW in their forcasts as overnight temps are to drop below the freezing mark.

Keep an eye on the flow gauge, say a prayer and rub your good luck charm; maybe the river will be fishable, depending on amount of rain, late Sunday.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?04201500
    http://blogs.clemetparks.com/rocky-r...ishing-report/

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Hey Jimmy,
    Do you know anybody who can "Dial" us up some decent, stable weather for a week or 2??....Maybe your Dad?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Hey Jimmy,
    Do you know anybody who can "Dial" us up some decent, stable weather for a week or 2??....Maybe your Dad?
    Mike
    I know my father has alot of connections, but I don't think they go up that high.

Jimmy

Thumbs up

Pull your buckles tight!!!
    Boogitty! Boogitty! Boogitty!...Let's go fishen' boyz!!

Oops wrong sport.
    The Rocky has become fishable faster then I originally thought. Initially I was thinking it would be Tuesday before we could wet a line. The rise and flow as of this morning (4/14) are what they were a couple of Sunday's ago alabiet the 70 degree temps. While traveling the RR from Morley down to the East Branch I actually spotted an angler with one on in the E. Branch. From the bow in his rod I'd bet even money it was a steelie. There is a slight clouding to the river; but will only get better as the week goes on.

The gurus are calling for sun all week and increasing temps. So come up with an excuse to get out of work early, or take a mental health day.

Boogitty! Boogitty! Boogitty!...Let's go fishen' boyz!!
    Meet you there,
    Jim

Yeah....NOW it gets good! I'll be in the mountains in Virginia this weekend, so that's not a bad trade-off. Will post pics next week.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread