+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chappie Chapman fly

Hybrid View

Default Chappie Chapman fly

Does anyone have a reference to a Chappie Chapman fly...a terrestial...I saw him tie it at the old Ontario, CA Expo...I don't need the recipe but would like to see the steps[tutorial]....basically looks like a sort of hopper.....he pretty much tied it for three years in a row at that expo.....

This is him....

I just found this picture...I interested in the yellow ones with the black eyes and segmented bodies??????

Last edited by ducksterman; 04-04-2008 at 03:35 AM.

ducksterman,
    Here is a book by Chappie;Dancing Rivers - Chappie Chapman- a great little book that you will pick up more than once, especially if you are fishing New Zealand waters. A nice easy read, with lots of snippets of information and stories." End Quote
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Normand Guest

you might find something on his website or you can contact him directly

http://www.chappie.co.nz/feedback.html

LOVE, that "home made, vise set up! Vise Grips on an aluminum post!
    (nice, flies too, of course!)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, Doug & Normand but that is a different Chappie.

Default Chappie

DM,
    I had the honor of tying next to chappie at last years ff show you could not meet a nicer person, I walked away with a handful of his flies(including the yellow hopper) and a new friend! My memory is'nt what it used to be but here goes ,1) cut a 6" long 1/4" wide strip of 2mm yellow craft foam ,2) Attach a sewing needle to your vise center, poke and fold the foam in half over the needle and form the segments 3) remove from needle and bind down on top of the hook and attach rear knotted legs 4) move your thread up to a 1/4" behind the eye and bind down both pieces of foam and another set of legs 5) bind down both pieces at the eye and remove the top strip of foam move your thread back a 1/4" add a drop of cg and a 1/4" diameter cylinder of black foam 1/2" long,pull the foam over the eye
    and bind down 6) remove foam except for a 1/4" long wing and snip out a section to form a V flip it over and add a little cg to the underside
    Well hope this helps! the way i type this took 2 days
    c-ya
    G

Default Oh great, another pattern

Love the round foam idea for the head. Now I am forced to run down the basement and play with this pattern. G-man your instructions are very good, with those and the picture - I'm tying.

Thanks for the effort, G,....this site amazes me... I wasn't very hopeful of getting help....Chappie doesn't seem to publish

Couldn't remember if he did it all with one long piece of foam...also did he tie in the eyeball plug of foam or just glue it?

He certainly is a nice man.

Paul, you're right you gotta love that vise.

+ Reply to Thread