+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you use for thread

Default what do you use for thread

I am interested in what every one is using for tying thread these days, brands, size and weather it silk, or nylon, waxed or unwaxed.
    Ghost.

Gudebrod 10/0, 8/0, 6/0, 3/0 - waxed polyester for everything except North Country Spiders

Pearsall's Gossamer - unwaxed silk for North Country Spiders

Im a UNI guy. 8/0 for basically everything, 6/0 for the bigger stuff. Colours depending.

I have some of their ceanis 20 denier (around 20/0) its just too small for what I am doing. I would love to try some 10/0 or 14/0 stuff but havent had the chance.

Phil

Blog Entries

I use almost exclusively Uni-thread in 6/0 and 8/0, depending on fly size. Most of it is waxed, although I sort of prefer the unwaxed, but it is hard to get sometimes around here.

I use kevlar thread on glo bugs. Whatever I can find, again. My gudebrod was good but I am almost out of it, need to hunt down some more...

I have various spools of other stuff, use when I need to.

Uni thread 6/0 and 8/0. I also use 210 denier, I think that is flymaster plus.. I think I also have some Benecchi 12/0 for very small stuff.

Bob

I use UTC, mostly 70 Deneir, but I also use 140 Deneir once in a while. It is waxed. I am not sure but I think it is nylon. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Typically Uni 8/0 or 6/0, some waxed others non-waxed. Have some spools of Danvills and Pearsalls as well, and like those as well.

- Jeff

Pearsalls Gossamer silk tying thread for North Country Spiders and other traditional wets (Waxed per recipe). Danville 6/0 for a lot of stuff (waxed). Uni 8/0 for smaller flies in the 16 to 20 range (Waxed). Gordon Griffiths Spider Web for anything smaller than 20 (Waxed).

REE

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Danville and Uni 3/0 & 6/0....some Kevlar for spinning hair 'cause I break everything else. I prety much use regular beeswax on it all, I use sticky wax from toilet gaskets for dubbing. I have a rainbow of colors, but use black 70% of the time I jsut got some Pearsalls gossamer silk & figure to try it for some spiders, but haven't gotten to that yet. My biggest trouble with the 18 &20 size flies is breaking the finer thread....
    ..................................ModocDan

Default Interesting responses

First, I use Uni Thread 8/0, waxed on just about everything, including my wingless wets and north country spiders. I don't understand why others are so hung up on using Pearsalls for the later. I know that is the traditional material, but I get great results with Uni products and the fish don't seem to care.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread