+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a couple pics

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Just a couple pics

Of my hideous flies!

So here they are. My attempt at a wooly bugger, and my attempt at.....something else haha.

Thanks for looking, criticism welcomed.
    Shane

OD,

Nice first flies. The tail on the WB should be the length of the hook shaft at most. The tails on some of the other flies are a bit long as well. Keep up the tying and most of all enjoy it!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

very nice first flies. We aren't the judge of those flies though let the fish be the judge. Looks like you palmered the hackle on the wb, that is excellent. The other fly, what ever it is, is nice. It tells me something about you. You are not afraid to experiment and go outside the box. That is excellent. by adding a bright pink or red to the fromt of the WB you will have a egg sucking leech. By changing the overall color to orange you will have a halloween leech. You are doing great! Keep going at it. Before you know it you will being tieing flies you never thought you could, and teaching others to tie.

From one newbie tier to another, those flies look like they will catch fish and they sure do look "buggy" to me.

Jeff

if you wanna shorten the tail a lil don't cut it with scissors or it won't look natural. just pinch bewteen your fingers and tear it apar. works great. a lil tip i learned from a guy on a forum.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot everyone, for the tips and praise! I think I'll be tying lots and lots and lots and......well you get it Lots of flies. It's quite enjoyable, waiting for the credit card to credit the payment so I can go blow a bunch more at the fly shop in a week or two I blame all of you when I wife rants about the CC bills by the way

My very first fly, well, was an absolute disaster, was terrible, but I see a lot of improvement from fly to fly. I'll post more in time to come. I need more materials, more more more!

Thanks again, I'm addicted to tying now!!
    Shane

Shane, nice flies!!
    If, in the future, you have any trouble with your bride about the mess, excess and costs of your new obsession, you see little slips of paper lying around with lawyer's names and numbers on them........... you know, the usual stuff all fly fishermen and tier's hear and see, every day............ just drop your bride the name "Jeff Sluter", or :Jefnles1" or have her sign in here, at FAOL and she can follow Jeff's posts around the boards and see for herself.
    Jeff, (also, hides under the name of "Tying God"), is an EXPERT on "marital bliss and harmony in the home", when it comes to fly tying, buying materials, having an organized tying area, the works. There's nothing, he can't help you with I'm sure!
    "It's not YOUR FAULT", (as you'll honestly explain to her of course), IT'S JEFF'S, because he's also somewhat new to tying and also posts pics of his flies. He also very much, encourages OTHER new tiers to "stick with it" and "get more materials and get more involved".
    Once your wife realizes that NONE of this, is really YOUR fault you're in the clear!! (Until, of course, you start building your own rods, then for THAT, I have another name you can use).
    Anyway, "Leslie" is also a name you'll want to jot down and keep handy, which I'll explain more about, later on when and if, lawyers get involved in the scheme of things.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Howdy, Shane! Nice flies! keep it up..........That's right about proportion, but you're doing great, and your not tryin to catch fishermen, but fish...let them be the judge.
    as for the little wifey...well just blame it all on us, and name names if you like, we're not scared, (well I don't think Paul's scared, anyway, use his name) As for me, a couple years ago, my wife caught me and my son in a high end fly shop when we were on vacation, and before she had us move along, she got a look at the prices on some of their flies....she even said they looked just like mine... and now she thinks I'm savin money ? ? I just figured that to be a windfall..... I do a little side work as a machinist and fabricator, and I use that $$ to cover a lot of my fishin expense, so not too much $$ comes out of the "general fund" I recommend that to anyone if you can do it. anyway, Keep up the good work, and get out and fish some of them flies yer tyin.
    Just keep us in the loop, or wel have to send some of the boys over to pay ya a visit.........we do have some fellas in Canada..eh...
    Welcome to the obsession....................ModocDan

Lawyers huh sorry but you guys don't know how to do it right. First you are not a true fly tier till you can get the little woman to buy you tieing stuff and encourage you to tie. This is how it works. You go out and do the honey do lists with gusto. You then do something you know annoys her. In my case it was being on the computer. Wife always said I would give anything to get you off the computer. My reply in a very grumpy way was "what is your problem I do the honey do list right" then immediately apologize and say I am sorry I just have no time for tieing and it is making me very grumpy. She says well go tie some flies. I thank her and go to the fly room. I come out 2 hours later and give her a kiss and tell her how much I appreciate the fact she supports me in my tieing addiction, but I am going to have to stop cause I am running out of materials. Two days later I am very very grumpy again. She then tells me hey lets go get some tieing materials and you can take a few hours and get relaxed again. I kiss her again and tell her how much I love her for supporting me so much. While there she sees the price of flies and says wow you are really saving us a lot of money. Now she pays for the stuff. Ya just got to do it right. Oh yea and when I say get lovey with her that means like you want the horrible "s" word, but you don't. She will ask what you want and you say nothing I just love holding you
    Last edited by harleybob87; 04-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Well, H-Bob, I have to admit............. scary as it may seem, you and I do things a lot alike! When it comes to going fishing, I seriously, never have any problems going. I just go. BUT, it I've gone TOO MUCH, in a certain time period, I CAN hear "little rumblings" about it.
    So, if I still want to go, like the day after the "little rumblings", I'll set the alarm for about 4:30AM. When it goes off, she yells at me, of course, to "shut that ^&&))** THING OFF!"
    Which, works great, because THEN I pat her where "only I'm allowed to pat" and whisper to her.............. "I can't decide, dear, if I want YOU more right now, or if I want to go fishing again??
    All, I hear is, "Take your coat, it'll still be cold out", as she turns over and goes back to sleep.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread