+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NuCanoe...Anyone have any experience with them

Default NuCanoe...Anyone have any experience with them

Just looking to see if anyone has used or knows anyone who uses and owns a NuCanoe. I just saw one of these at my local fly shop and could not resist them. I purchased the 10' model and have not had a chance to put it in the water yet, but, I like the idea behind them. You can see them at: www.nucanoe.com

I guess my main question, if anyone has used one, is how difficult are they to paddle upstream in a river using the double bladed paddle?

Thanks for any advise and help...If no one has used them, I guess I will have to report my findings once I get a chance to try it out. It slides right in the back of my Ranger and looks like a good fly fishing rig to me.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

They contacted us a few months ago about becoming a sponsor but decided not to.

Warren,

Nice! Did you get one of the Fishing models?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

My local fly shop just became a dealer and they just got in 4 NuCanoes. Two were the 10' models and the other two were the 12' models. I think they were the models they called the "Rec" models. There is not a lot of difference between any of them except some have more accessories which also raises the price. I do not think I would have been interested in them except that they had the 10' model and I wanted the smaller boat. They just came out with the 10' model in 2008. The next one up, the 12' model, weighs in at 85 pounds and that would have been more than I would want to wrestle with by myself with loading and unloading. The 10' model weighs in at around 65 pounds and fits my Ranger perfect. My main goal was to get something that I could paddle easily upstream against the current and since there is only 36" at the water line, it paddles a lot like a kayak which I have been told is paddled very easily. It has 42" at the top which gives it the stability it is known for which was another reason I like it. I can swim but I do not swim for recreation! They state that standing and fishing out of it is another plus. I have a Hobie Cat 75 which I like real well and I can oar it upstream with no problems, but, am limited to what I can haul with me and I cannot take another person with me. The 10' comes with one seat and I purchased the second seat and will wait to see how I like it before putting any other accessories on it. I like having the ability of moving the seats around in the boat. I can move the rear seat towards the center for solo or towards the back if there is another person up front. You can get rod holders that screw in the same holes that are used to fasten the seats down, so, you can put them where ever you want them. It is really a pretty neat fishing rig and I think it was built for fly fishing. I feel it has a lot of potential and will work real well for me. Everything about it is perfect and I know what accessories I want, but, I first must get it in the water to see how it paddles going upstream. I am not a fan of two vehicles and having a "pickup" point and a "drop off" point. I like to put in and paddle upstream 4-5 miles, to get away from others and explore, and then float fish my way back to my truck. I have always liked a canoe, but, paddling one upstream is real work for me and no fun. All I need now is for work and the weather to give me some time to get this boat in the river...I will let you all know, if interested, how it paddles and my overall opinion after that trip. I honestly feel it will paddle very easily with a double bladed paddle, but, I must find out for sure. If it does, it is well worth the $699 it cost...my opinion only.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I look forward to your report.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly,

Well, yesterday, I finally put my NuCanoe in the river and played with it and have decided it is a "keeper" for me. I have to get used to using a 2 bladed paddle, but, it is not that difficult. The stablilty of the NuCanoe is fantastic! I never had any concerns about tipping over and was very relaxed in it. It is very responsive to a paddle and will turn on a dime. I found it paddled very easily against the current and it does hold more than my Hobie Cat 75 and gives me a little more leg room. It is so responsive to a paddle that I am going to carry a sculling paddle with me to use while drifting with the current and fly fishing. Loading and unloading it from my Ranger was no problem for me. I will now install an anchor system on it plus a strap to lash the doubled bladed paddle down when I am fishing.

Overall, I am really liking this NuCanoe and it will see a lot of use from me.
    Warren

Warren,

Thanks for the update. My wife and I have been looking for a watercraft we can use on some of the smaller lakes we visit. I want something that is stable to allow me to stand while fishing and she wanted something that is fun to paddle around. This just may be what we have been looking for.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 04-07-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Smile NuCanoe

WarrenP,

Sounds like they are a good craft, I was impressed with them just by looking at them when I checked them out at a sports show.

Are you going to mount your anchor at the bow for when you are going upstream or at the stern for when you are drifting down stream?

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

No "experience with one", as you asked Warren, but still wanted to congratulate you on you new "yacht"!
    Seriously, after reading your "maiden voyage report", sounds like you've found the answer you've been looking for in a fly fishing boat!?!!
    I, also liked, how you wrote........... "To get far away from "OTHERS" and explore".... which is an obvious hidden reference to "Getting away from Jack and his rude acts of fish kicking".
    Now, just DON'T go out and get one of those cute little yachting hats, the white one with the "anchor and life ring" and all the embroidered "scrambled eggs" on the front!?
    I'm happy for you, buddy, have a blast with it!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, I think I will really enjoy this boat. It fits my style of fly fishing. I did not attempt to stand in it. I was very comfortable fly fishing from a sitting position. I am not sure how I will fasten the anchors yet. It does have a pre-made hole through the top of the transom where the anchor rope is suppose to go through and the anchor hangs out the back. I will use that. I do plan to have an anchor on the front, but, not sure how I will attach it yet. I know I want to be able to raise and lower it from where I am seated in the solo position. The front comes up very much like a canoe and that presents a problem for the attachment. Like everything I do, I will not drill a hole until I have given a lot of thought plus experimental runs on the river. I did not stand in it because I intend to use it to go upstream and then float fish my way back. I feel that standing would require some coordination but not as much as in a canoe. I would urge you to look at the 12' model if you plan to use it a lot with 2 people. It would give you a lot more room. My 10' model will work to transport 2 people from riffle to riffle but could be a little tight for 2 using fly rods and fishing. I would recommend that you demo one. Since most of my fishing will be just myself, the decision was much easier.
    Warren

+ Reply to Thread