+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tyer question - dubbing

Default New tyer question - dubbing

Hi I am new to fly tying and need some help;
    After I have spun my dubbing on the thread, I often find it is too long and I need to remove some, if I just pull it back it sometime leaves a tail of material sticking out - is there a better way to do this? or a way to accurately judge how much I will need?
    I realize that with years of practice my length of dubbing will be perfect every time.

Great site and I enjoy reading the informative posts here.

thanks
    Dan

Dan,

Welcome to FAOL. First Let me recommend you go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/ This will answer a plethora of your tying questions. Regarding dubbing, work with the theory that "less is more". Dubbing is one of those things that's easy to apply but much more difficult to get off. I'd recommend this section in particular to assist with dubbing http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ners/part8.php

Use just a little and don't cover more than an inch or an inch and a half of thread to start with. As you stated ,time and experience will help you judge how much you need. Best of luck and happy tying.
    Joe Bertolini

Welcome...

First, if you are doing a "pinch dubbing" it is very easy to just dub as you need it. In other words, just dub a short section and wrap, add more and wrap. Doing it that way you will not end up with excess to remove.

If you are doing a "dubbing loop" it will not be as easy. What I do is fill the dubbing loop a short distance and wrap, and if it is not enough, I just untwist the loop and add more and twist the loop and then wrap.

You will be able to determine how much to dub as you continue to tie.

Welcome, again, to FAOL and enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need and we will assist you.

We believe in sharing....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Here's another idea that may work for you. Take out of the package, the amount you think you will be needing to dub your fly ... then put at least half of it back.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I agree with betty. In fact What I do is take out what I think I will need then put half back. Now I look at the thread and dubbing and put half back again That is how I know it is the right amount. More importantly though just relax play with it a little and have fun. It will come in time. No worries.

Here's one I cribbed from Al Beatty. Let's see if I can explain this.

1. You have reached where you want the dubbing to stop, but still have some noodle left.
    2. Loop the thread around the index finger of your non tying hand, then back over the shank of the hook.
    3. Trap the loop you have just created by taking one wrap around it where the two ends of the loop meet at the hook shank.
    4. take a couple wraps around the hook shank as you normally would.
    5. Cut off the loop you have created taking the leftover noodle with it.
    6. You are left with a nice clean transition from dubbed thread to bare thread.
    7. Finish the fly as normal.

Clear as mud?

Thanks for the advise and encouragment.

Dan

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Dannyboy? Dannyboy??.........That sounds like me.........Makes me wanna say,..........
    ...What?
    Welcome to Faol, Bro....
    What Betty and Bob said......I always get too much going myself and have to get rid of the extra, and I've been doing this a long time.....It's no big deal, anyway. With practice you'l get better...pretty quickly. Happy tyin'.....Everbody here likes questions, it makes us feel like we know what's up to answer 'em.............Haha!
    Good to have ya here.........................ModocDan

"Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
    From glen to glen, and down the mountain side..."

I'm surprised the Shanty Irish from Canton has not "piped" in on this one. I actually beat him to it.

All in jest, Dannyboy, all in jest. Welcome to FAOL from one of FAOL's Bad Boyz and Dough Boy

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 04-01-2008 at 04:17 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Welcome aboard dannyboy!

The 'less is more' is great advice when it comes to dubbing.

Again, welcome aboard!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread