+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mylar tubing

Default Mylar tubing

Hello,

I am working on tying some small jigs with Mylar tubing, create some minnow jigs. What is the recommended thread to tie the tubing with?

Is there any other type of materials that can be used to "dress" it up along with the Mylar for an enhanced looking minnow jig? Any examples would be great too

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Mike,

I'm not really sure what you're asking about. If you could provide a photo of an example of the jigs you're tying, I'm sur some of the very creative and talented folks here would be happy to offer advise and recommendations.

Jim Smith

Something like this that Punisher makes. It's Mylar tubing tied on a small jig. I want to try a few myself and maybe dress it up a bit more.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Hi Mike,

I'd suggest 3/0 or single strand floss to tie those flies but really just about any thread will work. Also Punisher you posted looks like it would work with a marabou tail under tinsel (fuzzed out) tail. A hackle color would be a fun addition too. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks Al, some great ideas to work with

Mike

As Al said, a wrap or two of red hackle would make a nice collar on that jig. Also consider artic fox body fur for the tail. It will give lots of action and is very durable. You could also dress it up with a small zonker strip tied in at the "neck" of the jig and glued down the length of the mylar tubing. This would give it a darker back and would also act as the tail. You can also slip a glass/bead rattle (like the bass fishermen use) in the body to add some sound and fill out the body on the mylar. Just a few ideas...

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread