+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 52 foot long fishing rod

Blog Entries

Default 52 foot long fishing rod

I just got the World fishing network channel on cable. costs $1.49 per month or less than $20.00 per year.
    They have 24/7 fishing shows from bass to musky to trout to carp and all kinds of Saltwater shows . Shows from all corners of the world.

They have a show from Britian that features a Square man made lake where you have to pay to fish. The announcer said that you have to book weeks in advance to get a days fishing. Some ponds are up to $600 US dollars per day. The anglers use fishing poles up to 52 feet long. These hollow graphite poles come in several sections. The first tip section of the pole is Hollow and had a long elastic like surgical tubing in the end section. You tie a leader to the tubing and extend the pole out into the pond. It floats and when you get a bite you drag the pole toward you removing sections as you go till the last two sections are used to bring the fish( mostly carp )into the net. The surgical tubing fights the fish and tires it out plus acts as a shock absorber so the fish doesn't get off. They fish for a top prize of $25,000 US. Biggest fish of the day gets $2,500 . There are about 20 contestants and easily 3,000 - 4,000 spectators. The favorite anglers have their own rooting sections and quite avid fans. Fish are kept in holding nets and every hour or so a horn sounds, the fish get weighed then released. at the end of 8 hours fishing the overall winner wiith the highest weight count is declared. All day long contestants fling a ground bait out to get the fish to mill around in front of their fishing stand. all of this fishing is done while sitting on a chair , The fisherman never gets to his feet from the start of the contest till the end of it. They spend most of their time with small slingshots shooting bait out near the end of their rods. Most contestants have three or four 20 gallon bucket full of chum/bait mixture at hand. Some fling handfulls of bait at a time. The last contest I watched came from Hayfield Lake. ( Manmade ) In South Yorkshire England. The contest is called Fish Mania.

I am not making this up, but one of the 18 anglers in this particular match was a Michael Flannigan. He came in 16th out of 18. He was a young lad with flaming red hair. No he didn't fish from a tooob.

Believe it or don't.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

We have a local angler that uses that same method of fishing, but the rod he uses is only 37 feet long. It seems like this technique of fishing would only be worth it if you were fishing in extremely close quarters or in heavy brush. Other than that, it seems ungainly especially since the angler has to disassemble the rod to land a fish. That being said, I've fished places in the Everglades where this technique would have been terrific for getting to small holes and pockets in the Hydrilla, especially if you used a nice big shinner for bait.

Jim Smith

Gnu Bee -

If you believe it, it is just long distance dapping, for big bucks.

Me thinks it belies your signature, my friend.

John
    The fish are always right.

The length of those rods is crazy!

Sure hope there are no power lines arround were they fish!

chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Gnu Bee -

If you believe it, it is just long distance dapping, for big bucks.

Me thinks it belies your signature, my friend.

John
    Something to help you believe it.

http://www.bosfish.co.uk/f_index.html

http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/POLES/br874pole.htm

16 metres is 52.4934 feet , so the pole is actually longer than 52 feet long. I rest my case. How could you ever doubt me?

The water they are fishin in is open water no trees or snags or weeds involved in the man made lake. It is dapping like we used to do with those 12 foot bamboo rods they used to sell in Woolworths when I was a kid. They throw pounds and pounds of stuff in the water which is not allowed in BC so it could never catch on here.
    The ease whith each section comes apart and the fact that the long poles float makes it possible for the extreme length. They pull the pole straight toward themselves removing each section in turn till the pole they are fishing with is about 12 feet long. Then a net with a 10 foot handle on it is used to bring in the fish. These poles and equipment are in common use in Europe.

As my signature says You can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 03-31-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

Roger when I read your first post, I thought you were a day early

Eric

Sounds sick to me........
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

GnuBee;
    I believe you, no sweat! Just the fact, that "A Flannigan" is involved in such idiocy makes this all believable! This "competitor", Flanngian........... if he wasn't eating peanut butter fudge and wearing an "Ohio State" sweat shirt while fishing pretty well rules out OUR pet Mikey.
    You mentioned, too, "Each angler has his own rooting section"!? If it were also, our pet Mikey there would have been scantily clad cheerleaders, in his section, wiping sweat off his brow and cutting up his fudge pieces for him as he fished.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    ...If it were also, our pet Mikey there would have been scantily clad cheerleaders, in his section, wiping sweat off his brow and cutting up his fudge pieces for him as he fished.
    Are you suggesting Mikey would use his peanut butter fudge for CHUMMING ??

Roger -

I knew you weren't making that stuff up. Even you would be stretching to come up with a story about a 16 meter fishing ( dapping ) pole.

I am a bit curious, though. Some guys were talking about shooting golf the other day, and one of them mentioned shooting par. As I understood the conversation, the pars are generally found in the same places as the golfs. But these guys seemed to think shooting pars was a bigger deal than just getting the golfs. They also talked about birdies and eagles. The birdies came as no big surprise - but SHOOTING eagles ??????

Can you enlighten us on the part of the hunting traditions that surround shooting pars ??

Thanks in advance.

John
    The fish are always right.

James, the point of this technique is speed, you will land fish faster on this method than with any other I can think of (except maybe a trawling net, lol) and considering the kind of prize money these competitions can carry, speed is a big plus

+ Reply to Thread