+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Fly Shop Closing

Hybrid View

Justice League Guest

Unhappy Another Fly Shop Closing

I am said to inform everyone that we are losing another local fly shop here in Greenville, SC. Foothills Flyfishing will be closing in late April. The problem is that there is not another fly shop within 45 min of here. What am I saying that is not the problem at all the problem is that I now have no where to sit, drink coffee, chat, laugh, talk politics, talk sports, tell lies, get marriage caunselling (even if it was not the best advise), and even make a wager or two. What are we going to do. I know the big stores are great at times and prices are always good but they do not know your name or have that comfortable rocking chair that just fits your backside perfectly. You guys and girls on the net are great but... down here we fly fishers are few and far in between (people that just like to sit and be). All I can say is that I am way to young to sit at Hardees in the mornings.
    Last edited by Justice League; 03-30-2008 at 01:03 AM.

It's always very sad, when a good, local, fly shop closes. Of course, for the reasons you've mentioned, but also it's another several people out of work, too.
    I'm also, sure, that you're idea of "staying home and talking to your bride" is a good one AND will be very well received. However, asking HER about "marriage counseling ideas and suggestions" may just prove to be more than you bargained for!?! Do you have a dog?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hardees, now thats a name I had forgotten. I spent a lot of time in NC while in the Marine corps and liked their burgers. Thanks for the memory jog.
    Gary

not lots of fly shops round my spot either. I get all my stuff online. pm me for some good sites for fly gear.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Unhappy Foothills Flyfishing

This is sad news indeed. I haven't wet a line since we went off daylight savings time in 2007, so I haven't been in the place since then. At that time the inventory looked a little low, but I just figured they hadn't received the pre Christmas shipment yet. It was just a couple years ago that they said there was room for two shops in the area. Any idea what went wrong? My guess is the high price of gas as well as the drought conditions has cut into a lot of the fishing around here. Does anyone know if they ever got a web site up and running? I for one will sure miss sitting around the table and just shooting the bull as well as watching others who are tying flies. Any idea what Chuck and/or Bill will be doing after the doors close?
    Better Loops & Singing Reels
    Lee

I know that I sound like I am beating the union drum, but it is more than that, it is the American way. We are all short term sighted. We want to buy cheap today as we import our jobs and way of life to China and India. I was in Wal-Mart this week and bought my young girl two pairs of pants for $7/e and two shirts for $3/e off of the discontinued items. I'm smart enough to realize what is happening buy not smart enough to do anything about it besides buying cheap stuff myself. I don't have any answers, I can just relate to loosing another piece of ourselves.

Rick

maybe we should actually shop at these places instead of just visiting, drinking coffee and tying flies. we had a very nice fly shop here in mississippi and its gone now. it was always full of people but they were just always there to shoot the bull. the prices there i thought were very reasonable but they would drive 20 miles and spend their money at bass pro shop for imported junk.now they are looking for a new place to roost.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    maybe we should actually shop at these places instead of just visiting, drinking coffee and tying flies.
    BINGO!!!---We have a very nice shop about two miles from my house--they carry Orvis Winston Sage Scott T&T Tfo and Reddington---the one sakesman can cast 110 feet with no problem and is a steelhead guide another guy is a great flyter and rodbuilder and Pa trout fisherman and the 3rd guy has a lot of trout and bonefish under his belt---there is a casting platform outside and ppl try the rod out and then buy the same rod online because its a great rod and they got a such a great bargain!

They just dont get it!

All the things above has cost the owner money so you can try the stuff out and assist you in your purchase and then give the profit to somebody that has no overhead except a dsl connection but yet the same ones complain when they lose the store that that offered it all as a service in the first place.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy What terrible news!

Boy, that just put my morning in the crapper. Bill and Chuck are two of the greatest guys you will find anywhere. I just can't believe that they are calling it quits. Very sad, indeed. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    maybe we should actually shop at these places instead of just visiting, drinking coffee and tying flies.
    Ah, but every time I went into the shop I made sure to buy something (usually about $30-$50 worth) whether I needed anything or not. I've even had them order things which I saw advertised elsewhere, knowing that the price was higher, just to help support the place.
    Better Loops & Singing Reels
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread