+ Reply to Thread

Thread: joinet damsel fly nymph

Default joinet damsel fly nymph

this is my frist joinet damsel fly nymph what do you think does it need more work? also to frist time working with mararbu need help on that. thanks davidm
    Attached Images Attached Images

David...I've been playing around with articulated nymphs...currently mostly damselflies....I'm not totally happy with where I'm at...and have not fished them yet.

Re: yours I would shorten up both the thorax section and body sections but keep the body section longer than the thorax.
    I would also thicken up the thorax...the more mature the damselfly nymph the more prominent is the wing case. Damsel eyes I believe are darker than yours.

Others may well have different opinions.

As a PS: to the above....I'm thinking hookups would be optomized if the business end of the hook is in the tail end.

What do folks think?????????

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    As a PS: to the above....I'm thinking hookups would be optomized if the business end of the hook is in the tail end.

What do folks think?????????
    Dave & Duck -

Several fellows I've watched tie articulated flies at demos say that most of the hookups come on the trailing hook. In fact, some don't bother with a hook on the front end - they build both parts of the fly on hooks and cut off the front hook at the bend when they finish the fly.

Not sure that would work on a damsel pattern, but just something to keep in mind.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 03-30-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    The fish are always right.

what if i leave the hook points on both hooks

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post

With 2 hooks it will be harder to remove the hook for catch and release. when you get one unhooked the 2nd hook is prone to getting lodge in the fish.

The videos I have seen of fish taking a small bait fish the fish inhales the whole bait and it is very quick. I would think that you would be just as likely to hook the fish whether it is on the front or the back of the fly because the whole think is in the mouth. I would think that you would tend to hook the fish deeper if the hooks is on the back of the fly. Thus in the the throat or the gills. Not so good if you are doing catch and release.
    dB
    Sanitize your FF equipment and wash your boat, trailer, livewells & sumps. Wash your wading dog

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    I agree with Scruffy Fly about using two hooks. Worse yet, you can easily end up with one of them in you and one in a fish that is flopping around trying to get away !!

Since I haven't fished with an articulated fly, I can't state a personal preference or opinion about the front / back hook thing. What I said before was based on the experience of others who said most of the hookups came on the trailing hook.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread