+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dangerous place!

Hybrid View

Exclamation A dangerous place!

This forum, especially the bamboo sections, should probably carry black label warnings listing all of the possible side effects and hazards.

A few weeks ago I started browsing through all of the bamboo articles. Since then my thoughts have been filled with nothing else. I dream of planing forms and binders and splitting and sharpening techniques. I am afraid I have been bitten.

But. before I run out and buy all kinds of stuff and dive in I need the answer to a couple of very important questions from all of you boo addicts.

Is it too late for a 60 + guy to start to learn to make GOOD bamboo rods?

Who has the number for BA (Bamboo Anonymous).

no.........
    by now you surely have some skills, these can be of value. There is no reason your first should not be just fine. Go for it kid; while you're still young enough to enjoy it!

I'm pushing 58, and 60 don't look like anything more than another birthday to get teased over. I took up graphite rod building last year, and built 10 rods that I'm darn proud of. I say don't waste any more time. Go start your shopping list, say goodbye to spouse, children and close friends, because you are embarking on a long journey to the Dark Side. Some are able to slip in and out at times to be part of society, but for most it's a long, consuming adventure. Bon Voyage

BA can be reached at 1-800-BAMBOO1

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Muahahahah! Welcome to the Dark Side!!
    A lot of us are 60+ ... I say go for it!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Muahahahah! Welcome to the Dark Side!!
    A lot of us are 60+ ... I say go for it!
    Some of us ARE NOT 60!

Shaky, go for it, you'll never regret the journey you are about to take. Remember to keep Joe's BA number handy.

Brad

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I think.

I surely will have lots of questions and will make lots of mistakes along the way but I am looking forward to the challenge. Fortunately, during those previously mentioned 60+ years I have accumulated a fair amount of tools and have a decent workshop so I think I will just jump in.

I have ordered Wayne Cattanach's "Handcrafting Bamboo Fly Rods". Can any of you recommend other useful books?

Default A Dangerous Place

Get ready to frequent dangerous places. It is too late to go back! I am 69 and have been building bamboo rods about 10 years. Just finished one yesterday. A 3 pc. 8' for 5 wt. It's a gift for a son. In response to your reqeuest for other books may I recommend "Constructing Cane Rods" by Ray Gould and "Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly Rod" by George Maurer and Bernie Elser. There are others and there is also much to be found on the net. Try not to get confused by the different approaches different makers have for dealing with similar issues. That shows the progress being made in the development of bamboo rod knowledge. Use good raw materials. Don't take short cuts. But you already know this.
    Gerry L

Thanks Gerry. I will look up your suggestions. Right now I am compiling a list of necessities to get started and planing forms seem to be at the top. Did you make your own forms or buy them? I am leaning toward making my own but would like to hear from someone who has done that.

Normand Guest

you can even take classes on building a rod. heres one place

http://www.oysterbamboo.com/

Default dangerous places

Hi, Shaky Wadr.I did not feel that I wanted to deal with a big mess and the time requred to make a planing form. Some may say I cheated, but I was able to get off to a quick start by buying the form. Many rod makers purchased their planing forms.I also bought the wrapper. There were plenty of other things I needed to come up with. The first rod seemed to take a hundred years. It turned out ok and I use it most every day, year around. Good rod making!
    Gerry L

+ Reply to Thread