+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a recipe or ideas

Hybrid View

Default Need a recipe or ideas

First off let me mention I'm a relative newcomer when it comes to tying. And secondly I have a very creative mind. There are the traditionalist that will follow a recipe to a T. Well I do to. But after mastering the skill or the newest material purchased the creatve side of me kicks in and I begin to mix an match and tie flies that I think might be of interest to a fish. In essence not following a recipe at all.

When I show off these flies I get the, "WOW, that looks great, but will the fish be interested in it?" question alot. I really don't know; we've been burried under a mountain of snow. "Besides" I say to them, "A) It kept me busy. B) somebody has to come up with the new patterns, or variations." And my most defensive response (when absolutely necessary), "C) a Copper John matches nothing all but find a guy nymphing he will probably have at least one in his box."

Yesterday I was at my local shop and something caught my eye and bought it. It is a Ringneck rump patch, natural. Normally I 'shop the recipe' for what I need, but when I saw this patch I just had to have it. The irredessence of the feathers from grey to blue to green with the rusty tips on the longer feathers are remarkable. Boy, could I get creative with this. But as I have said before I want to 'master' the material by following recipes before I let my creative juices loose.

Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck finding this 'ingredient' in any recipes.

That is where I hope you guys come in and can suggest some flies using my new found feathers, and how they can be used.

Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

jcntheriver Guest

Default trying new patterns

what ever you come up with I`m sure someone has tried it or tied before. If it works for you on fish, Great. That`s where we separate ourselves from other species, our creativity.
    I found that if you tie something no one else uses,and the fish eat it, keep your mouth shut. LOL I have noticed that bringing something new to the table the fish eat it because it`s close to a natural and they ( the Fish) never seen it before. So if that works stick to it . Good Luck and good fishing.

Jeff

Search for "Carey Special" in the fly tying section.

Jim,

No suggestions, but a question. What is this "Shop the recipe" you speak of? My wife and I generally walk into a flyshop a grab whatever we think we may need someday.
    REE

Hi,
    Here are two flies tied with ringneck rump feathers.

This is one of my own patterns. The tail is a clump of fox squirrel belly hair, the body is fox squirrel body, rib dark copper wire, wing is the rump feathers tied in flat on top, and a grizzle hackle collar. You can sub in hare's mask instead of fox squirrel.

This is a popular NZ lure called a Mrs. Simpson. There's a black tail of black squirrel tail hair. It should be a bit longer and stick out beyond the feathers (two each side, one pair tied in half way along the hook shank). Also, there's a dubbed wool body, yellow for day flies and red for night (nobody knows why this matters because the body is hidden by the side feathers).

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 03-29-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Try this and look around the rest of his site for some other effective patterns http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gartside_sparrow.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Jim,

No suggestions, but a question. What is this "Shop the recipe" you speak of? My wife and I generally walk into a flyshop a grab whatever we think we may need someday.
    REE
    Since i am a new fly tier as well i can explain where he is coming from

About once a month or so i figure out the flies i am going to tie. Based on the recipes i find either online, semi-create, or find in a book. Then once i know what i want to tie, i figure out the materials i am missing and go down and buy them. Thats what he means by "shop the recipe" i assume.

Jim,
    I agree about trying to use the feathers for a Carey Special.http://www.flystore.net/Carey%20Special%20Peacock.jpg
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I, Also am a "Shop the reciepe" tyer, I go into the Fly Shop with my list, Then totally ignore it and buy all kinds of stuff then go home and tell Jean "Da**" I forgot to or they didn't have what I needed then head to a different shop.

Wink

If you "shop the recipe" and get caught up in the great variety of recipes we are exposed to in all the magazines and websites, you will be following the path to the slippery slope that we all are on. Just be prepared to set up a bank account your better half will be unaware of with about $10,000. You won't be alone.

+ Reply to Thread