I'm done with the whole company. I'll tell everyone I know that their products are junk, they aren't good for the sport of fly fishing, and those in charge are either jerks or just plain stupid. I own two of their reels, which will go in the trash tomorrow.

Saw this 'ad'. Full back cover of Flyfishing & Tying Journal.

Photo of a couple of guys in a boat.

'WHAT YOU SAY-I don't care how many fish I catch, It's just great to be out here on the water.'

'WHAT YOU MEAN-I've hooked seven and you've only hooked one.'

'WHAT YOU FISH- GLOOMIS.COM'

Not me, never again.

I think it was John Gierach that said something about jerks being hard to hide for long on a fishing trip....not a quote, but along those lines. Seems that the G. Loomis Company has managed to show itself to be in the same 'jerk' class.

I've been in the boat with the competitive types. Not fun folks to be around. I try very hard not to associate with them. Little can ruin a day of fishing faster than someone who thinks they have to 'keep score'.

That any fly fishing company would intentionally play to that mentality, or even believe that there are a significant number of fly fishermen who think that way, offends me deeply. That any fly fishermen would beleive it's okay to think that way, or behave in that way, belittles the sport. I'd certainly prefer that they take up (I don't know what to put here without offending someone who doesn't deserve jerks like that) and not consider themselves fly fishermen. I know that I don't want to fish with, associate with, or even be around someone that would think like that.

There was time when no company trying to sell tackle to fly fishermen would be so crass, or so obviously offensive.

Haven't all of us had days when our friends have done well and we haven't? Or vice versa? Was the day wasted? Did not we have the camraderie, the conversation, the chance to share the joy of another? Is the lack of respect between anglers come to the point where another's failure gives us pleasure?

Have we not come past the point where the mere number of fish caught is the goal. If it was just about the numbers, would we not simply dangle a worm or cheese ball and consign the vanquished to a sharp knife and a hot skillet?

This 'advertisement' speaks to the lowest level of our sport. If that is who GLoomis wishes to have as their patrons, they are welcome to them.

I'll not be one, though.

Buddy