+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Done with G. Loomis...

Default Done with G. Loomis...

I'm done with the whole company. I'll tell everyone I know that their products are junk, they aren't good for the sport of fly fishing, and those in charge are either jerks or just plain stupid. I own two of their reels, which will go in the trash tomorrow.

Saw this 'ad'. Full back cover of Flyfishing & Tying Journal.

Photo of a couple of guys in a boat.

'WHAT YOU SAY-I don't care how many fish I catch, It's just great to be out here on the water.'

'WHAT YOU MEAN-I've hooked seven and you've only hooked one.'

'WHAT YOU FISH- GLOOMIS.COM'

Not me, never again.

I think it was John Gierach that said something about jerks being hard to hide for long on a fishing trip....not a quote, but along those lines. Seems that the G. Loomis Company has managed to show itself to be in the same 'jerk' class.

I've been in the boat with the competitive types. Not fun folks to be around. I try very hard not to associate with them. Little can ruin a day of fishing faster than someone who thinks they have to 'keep score'.

That any fly fishing company would intentionally play to that mentality, or even believe that there are a significant number of fly fishermen who think that way, offends me deeply. That any fly fishermen would beleive it's okay to think that way, or behave in that way, belittles the sport. I'd certainly prefer that they take up (I don't know what to put here without offending someone who doesn't deserve jerks like that) and not consider themselves fly fishermen. I know that I don't want to fish with, associate with, or even be around someone that would think like that.

There was time when no company trying to sell tackle to fly fishermen would be so crass, or so obviously offensive.

Haven't all of us had days when our friends have done well and we haven't? Or vice versa? Was the day wasted? Did not we have the camraderie, the conversation, the chance to share the joy of another? Is the lack of respect between anglers come to the point where another's failure gives us pleasure?

Have we not come past the point where the mere number of fish caught is the goal. If it was just about the numbers, would we not simply dangle a worm or cheese ball and consign the vanquished to a sharp knife and a hot skillet?

This 'advertisement' speaks to the lowest level of our sport. If that is who GLoomis wishes to have as their patrons, they are welcome to them.

I'll not be one, though.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I try my hardest to not let adds positively or negatively affect my view of a product.

Your qualm is with a couple stiffs in advertising, not the entire company imho.

Buddy,

I am looking for a couple of reels for my reel-less rods. If you are throwing them away.... I promise I won't out fish you or be a jerk if I do.

Seriously... are you throwing them out? I will pay postage!

Scott

Scott,

That poses a dilemma for me. My opinion of you as a fly fisherman is worth more to me than the cost of these reels. They get thrown away. I'd not want anyone to see them on a river, stream, or lake and think they are gear suitable for a fly fisherman.

I also have built a couple of rods on Loomis blanks. Luckliy, I didn't mark them with the Loomis logo or name. These, I will give to some local kids who will use them and not have their path to becoming ethical fly fishermen tainted by an obvious association with such a base and classless company.

MTSKIBum,

I never allow advertising to positively effect my views of a product. The reverse is not the case, however, when it comes not to a specific product, but to the company as a whole.

Those 'stiffs' in advertising have to get their work approved by the folks that run the place. Advertising is very important to a company that bases it's ads on an image, not on a specific product. THAT is what this ad from Loomis was all about. Not a particular rod, reel, or such, but a mindset of what it believes is it's customer base.

I find that 'mindset' abhorrent. That a company would specifically 'target' it offends me. I certainly do not want to be associated with them in any way.

Think about a company that sells alcoholic beverages of some sort running a similar ad. Friend offers to let you stay at his house. He introduces you to his wife..what you say-pleased to meet you and thank you for having me as a guest in your home...what you mean-wait until ol' Bob goes out of town, I'll get you drunk and take advantage of you..what you drink-Billy's Bourbon...

I never want to see a company that caters to the base and classless get ahead. I know there are folks that think like that...I just don't want to 'know' them....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

As an engineer, I am upset that you are throwing away a product that engineers probably spents close to 10,000 hours designing over the years, just because of an ad that a stupid marketing guy spent 5 minutes on.

I hate marketing

I'm so glad I don't think fly fishing is a religion.

Buddy; waaaait a minute....didn't Gary sell GLoomis to Shimano a few years back?

And, haven't we posted a number of articles on here referencing the advertising hype of the fly fishing industry as a whole to sell product?

I think there's an ex-Governor that paid a tremendous amount of money for an inferior product that really stung him....same scenario applies to the fly fishing product industry...they tell us, through advertising hype that we need to pay $700 for theirs, when the $149 product, learned to use correctly, will give us just as much pleasure.

Regards, Jim

Buddy, I think that by throwing away the reels rather than allowing someone the pleasure of getting something he would not normally be able to afford is simply wasteful and selfish on your part. I could care less about the marketing of a product, until it get to this point where IT is controlling YOU. Somehow I would think that you are better than that, but I could be wrong. Next time you're going to WASTE something, don't bother to tell us about it. There's some kid out there who would mow your damn lawn for a year to get what you're going to throw in the garbage.

Yes, your actions have really upset me, especially when it affects a fellow fly fisher. Ranting is one thing, but you've taken it to a new low. I hope you feel real good about yourself for sharing this with us.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I'm so glad I don't think fly fishing is a religion.
    Amen, Bamboozle....I'd be afraid of falling off the pulpit and crushing my 'fly fisherman' halo!
    Last edited by PAangler; 03-29-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Advertising hasn't really bothered me up until the past few years. Granted I haven't seen many fly-tackle ads, I have, however, had my fill of pick-up ads and one particular hard-core Dodge Ram guy who was constantly trying to impress me with the power and off-road capability of his truck, as if the ads didn't do that already. Two things were constantly on his mind, trucks and women. I'm single and I hate Dodge because I let what he had to say affect me.

I don't like it when people compete like that, and I seriously believe that an advertisement shouldn't affect someone's personal preference, but I am the last person to succumb to a corporations advertising gimmicks, whether I buy the product or not. To each, his own.

As far as throwing away perfectly good reels, why don't you sell them, buy a couple of cheap fly-fishing outfits, and teach some people how to fly-fish. I wouldn't waste my money throwing away something like that when I could get something good out of it. And if you really want to get rid of them, I'll take them and possibly pay some tuition with them.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

+ Reply to Thread