+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advice for Long Island, Bahamas

Default Need some advice for Long Island, Bahamas

My wife and I are heading for Chez Pierre the first week of April. While she's soaking up some sun, I've got the green light to chase some bones on the flats. Anybody have any experience in this area and recommendations? Do you need a guide with a boat, or can you find some decent wade fishing on the nearby flats? Any suggestions for patterns/ sizes. I've done a little bonefishing in the keys on a couple trips, so I'm not a complete rookie. Just looking for some advice so I can get prepared; I'm told getting gear etc on the island is iffy at best, so I need to bring what I'm going to need. In previous trips to the keys I always relied on local shops to supply me with the right flies and leaders, etc.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PMD View Post
    My wife and I are heading for Chez Pierre the first week of April. While she's soaking up some sun, I've got the green light to chase some bones on the flats. Anybody have any experience in this area and recommendations? Do you need a guide with a boat, or can you find some decent wade fishing on the nearby flats? Any suggestions for patterns/ sizes. I've done a little bonefishing in the keys on a couple trips, so I'm not a complete rookie. Just looking for some advice so I can get prepared; I'm told getting gear etc on the island is iffy at best, so I need to bring what I'm going to need. In previous trips to the keys I always relied on local shops to supply me with the right flies and leaders, etc.
    I will follow this post closely as I will also be at Chez Pierre during the 1st week of april and this will be my first salwater fishing trip. Hope to meet you there.

Andre.

I was there in November, I stayed at the Cape Santa Maria. I don't know where your staying but there was only one flat near my hotel and there were some bonz there. I had to get a guide 2 days and I did good with him.

If you stay near Dead Man's Cay I think there is more wading closer to the resorts with lots of bones. My guide told me that the bonz are larger in the norther part if the Island. I was into 8-10lb bones.

Tan and white clousers w/pink thread and Gotchas worked great for me.

I brought all my own gear and I saw one shop.

My wife and I stayed at Chez Pierre on LI in 2004.We loved it...the food was outrageously good & the husband and wife team that ran the place were very accommodating.

If you or your wife are higher maintenance,you may not be happy with the acommodations:a little beach hut-comfy bed.Good screens-with the waves gently lapping at your doorstep 90 yds away.VERY ROMANTIC,even for an old phart like me.

Rent a car--see the island--go to Deadman's Cay.Hire a guide out of Deadman's Cay
    Don't use the guide Chez Pierre suggest,if he's still there ..lazy as sin..probably got fired by now

If you hit it right LI is the best place in the Bahamas for large #s of bones.
    I've fished the Bahamas since the late 70's and LI and South Andros are my favoites.

PM me for more info

Pinky is building a place on the south end of LI. Comes into the chat room sometimes.

Who is Pinky??
    Is he part of that famous family of fishing guides"The Pinders"?

Cool More on Pinky

Pinky was a Chatroom Host here, and is very well respected. He is building a lodge on Long Island.

Host Pinky - Nevin Knowles
    pinknev@hotmail.com
    Johnson Road
    P.O. Box SS 5346
    Long Island
    Bahamas
    Phone: (242) 364-4194
    Cell242) 357-5543
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 03-25-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: more info

Half of the people living in the Bahamas are named Pinder. I think it's something like Smith or Johnson here in the States

+ Reply to Thread