+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farmed Salmon Problems

Default Salmon Virus

Last edited by DShock; 03-28-2008 at 01:14 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

A very good friend, fishing in Sitka last spring caught a number of "king" salmon and did not realize until he was at the cleaning table that the gill plates on almost half of them had spots... Large irregular black spots... Atlantic salmon spots. Seems a fish farm in BC admits to losing several hundred thousand of them during a storm.
    art

Default fish farming

fish farming and shrimp farming are detrimental in many ways. Water is polluted and as we see fish escape. Somehow we have to make all of this right before there is nothing left to fix.

Doug -

Very interesting read. Thanks for the link.

On top of all that, I recently read an article, can't remember where, that pointed out the NUTRITION differences between wild and farm raised salmon. After reading that article, I swore off farm raised salmon, period. It might taste good, but it is kind of like eating sawdust.

Hard to find wild salmon in the stores around here, but when it is available ....

John
    The fish are always right.

Hi their

Ya no a guy don't know to eat or not to Eat.

John
    Fish like predator.

John,
    I have talked to people about the difference between wild salmon and farmed salmon and I have decided that most people don't have a clue!
    I think feeding the farmed salmon food to color their flesh red, is fraud.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

The differences on the plate between wild salmon and farmed is dramatic... the health "risks" notwithstanding...

I used to work for wallcan cannery on Qudra Island just across from Campbell river BC. I worked through the summer and chose to work with farm fish because the work was more steady. We called the farm fish slimies we often had a fair amount of loss because some of the fish had open sores, mite infestation, absesses and some well, thay were just deformed. Im sure most of the fish were ok but the sick ones realy stood out, and to think thay spent there whole lives swimming in circles with the healthy ones made me decied to stick to wild fish. Ive never come across extreamly sick fish in the wild and if i ever do id be the first one concernd and on the phone with enviroment Canada.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

The thing that ticks me off is when they started the first experimental farms they said there was little of no chance of escapement. Even the very small percentage that did escape would never spawn. Now there are lots of escapees. There are even esablished Atlantic runs up our Rivers. The government tells us that the runs are a bad thing that they are trying to stop.

Then they make you add any Atlantic's caught to your limit.
    If they want the runs to die off shouldn't they let us catch as many Atlantic's as we want? The same goes for having a limit on yellow perch in a lake nearby here that they want to rid of Yellow perch. They put a limit on the perch. dumb dumb dumb.

The only good thing about the Atlantic's is that river spawned fish from the 2nd generation will not be farmed fish and probably taste better and look their proper color.

In the regs they have several pages devoted to the evil bucket brigade when their own policies regarding fish farming basically amounts to the same thing.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 04-15-2008 at 04:35 AM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

What about all those nasty Pacific s in the great lakes with their only open sea way being the St Lawrence river to the ATLANTIC OCEAN..

At one time there was a run of atlantics in the St Lawrence
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread