+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanny Pack wearers-what about a jacket?

Default Fanny Pack wearers-what about a jacket?

I have been thinking about ditching the old vest and going with a fanny pack, or lumbar pack as some like to call them. I think I may have found one that will meet my requirements for carrying capacity. What I don't see on any of them, is a way to carry a wading jacket or net. I assume that a net can just be tucked between the pack and the wearer, but a jacket I can't quite figure out. So what do you do?
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Normand Guest

ummm, wear the jacket??

i've never owned a net in 27 years of fly fishing. cant answer that one.
    Last edited by Normand; 03-27-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Cary just gave me a new lumbar pack made by Duluth Pack. It sizes up real good; wide canvas and web belt; and it does have an adjustable strap (2) across the top to hold a jacket. Even with the jacket rolled and strapped on, you can still get in to the main pack. Check them out at www.duluthpack.com. I have no personal interest in this company ... just a most satisfied customer ... many, many times over.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I just roll mine around my waist under my waders (just above the belt) if I am wearing waders. In the summer I don't worry about the jacket at all.
    Net, that one is a problem. I do have a WJ Bamboo net that has a bend at the end of the handle perfect to slip over a belt.

Personally, there is too many variables with fanny packs, wade too deep they get wet, the net thing you mentioned, plus hard on my hips. I went with the Orvis Sling and never looked back

I have a Mountainsmith Lumbar pack that I have used fishing, shooting, camping, surveying, and every other manner of use over the last 10yrs. The bag is still in good shape and going strong. It has straps I can roll a coat up in and a shock cord I use to hold my net. I think they are great the nylon dries quick and keeps all but the most torrential downpours out of the pack.

Link: http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?categoryId=4

I have a classic series tour.

Adam

Standard Disclaimer: I have no interest or affiliation with the company, but I have been so happy with mine. Best thing I ever bought (except fly rods and motorcycles).

You could try the chest packs instead of the waist packs. I have both and I like the chest pack much better. Fly Goddess pointed out some of the problems with the waist packs.

If you get a chest pack, with the back compartment, you can put your jacket in there. Many of them come with a D ring for attaching nets, too.

I don't use a fanny pack but something very similar that I made myself that utilizes a web belt. I found some nice pouches designed to slip on to a belt to carry stuff and I keep my rain jacket in that. When I THINK it is going to rain I slip it on my belt and I'm good to go.

As far as a net goes that gets trickier. I have a collapsible net that I made a holster for. That also goes on my belt. If you have a regular net you may want to look for a fishing shirt with a loop on the back that you could attach your net to or have someone that sews add a loop for you.

I just roll up my packable raincoat and put it in the back of my waders. The wader belt and lumbar pack keep it from sliding down. I also carry my two bottles of water there. That, plus the lumbar pack, take all the weight off my shoulders from a vest or chest pack and I feel much better at the end of the day. Also when I need to carry extra stuff I use a back pack, with most of the weight resting on the lumbar pack when the lumbar pack compartments are swiveled behind me. The only problem with the back pack is I feel the need to fill it up, don't ask me why.

You don't mention,F-Fool, if the jacket you want to carry is for warmth or rain cover. If it's rain cover, I bought a Columbia Sports Wear rain jacket several years ago that "wads up" and fits into one of it's slash pockets and then zips closed.
    The whole jacket, "packed", is about 8" long X 4" wide and with a hook on the zipper pull, I hang it off my vest in the back, or toss it into the back "extra spool pocket" of my vest. But, it should store quite easily,too, hanging off your fanny pack or, even in it!? The jacket's water AND wind proof and back when I purchased it, it was $19.95.(About 4 years ago, according to "SHE, who keeps track of my fishing expenditures" informed me just now!?!).
    "The shirt, with the "locker loop" at the rear of the neck", is a great idea for the net location too, if the net's not too heavy. My trout/stream net is 21"/laminated wood and hangs off a shirt loop, when not wearing my vest, with no problems.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your links and suggestions too. I hadn't thought of rolling or folding it up and putting it in my waders. I think the net can be easily figured out with a bit of trial and error, probably more error if the past is any clue. LOL.

Normand, I usually do wear the jacket, if it's already raining, cold and windy, or a combination of the three. There are times though that rain is expected and it's not quite warm enough yet to just get wet, especially when I don't know how far I'll be from the truck.

Fly Goddess mentioned wading too deep and soaking the pack, does that happen alot to you guys? That's one of the things that has kept a vest on me.

pspaint, I tried a chest pack a few years ago. It got repacked and sent back 30 min. after I loaded it up and put it on. I do like the idea, especially with the backpack ones, but I don't like the bulkiness on my chest, one of the main reasons I'm thinking of ditching the vest.

tigfly, I always fill the extra spaces up too and I'm not sure why either. most of it doesn't get used but I'm a what if kinda guy.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

+ Reply to Thread