+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fanny Pack wearers-what about a jacket?

Hybrid View

Default Fanny Pack wearers-what about a jacket?

I have been thinking about ditching the old vest and going with a fanny pack, or lumbar pack as some like to call them. I think I may have found one that will meet my requirements for carrying capacity. What I don't see on any of them, is a way to carry a wading jacket or net. I assume that a net can just be tucked between the pack and the wearer, but a jacket I can't quite figure out. So what do you do?
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Normand Guest

ummm, wear the jacket??

i've never owned a net in 27 years of fly fishing. cant answer that one.
    Last edited by Normand; 03-27-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Cary just gave me a new lumbar pack made by Duluth Pack. It sizes up real good; wide canvas and web belt; and it does have an adjustable strap (2) across the top to hold a jacket. Even with the jacket rolled and strapped on, you can still get in to the main pack. Check them out at www.duluthpack.com. I have no personal interest in this company ... just a most satisfied customer ... many, many times over.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I just roll mine around my waist under my waders (just above the belt) if I am wearing waders. In the summer I don't worry about the jacket at all.
    Net, that one is a problem. I do have a WJ Bamboo net that has a bend at the end of the handle perfect to slip over a belt.

Personally, there is too many variables with fanny packs, wade too deep they get wet, the net thing you mentioned, plus hard on my hips. I went with the Orvis Sling and never looked back

I have a Mountainsmith Lumbar pack that I have used fishing, shooting, camping, surveying, and every other manner of use over the last 10yrs. The bag is still in good shape and going strong. It has straps I can roll a coat up in and a shock cord I use to hold my net. I think they are great the nylon dries quick and keeps all but the most torrential downpours out of the pack.

Link: http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?categoryId=4

I have a classic series tour.

Adam

Standard Disclaimer: I have no interest or affiliation with the company, but I have been so happy with mine. Best thing I ever bought (except fly rods and motorcycles).

You could try the chest packs instead of the waist packs. I have both and I like the chest pack much better. Fly Goddess pointed out some of the problems with the waist packs.

If you get a chest pack, with the back compartment, you can put your jacket in there. Many of them come with a D ring for attaching nets, too.

I don't use a fanny pack but something very similar that I made myself that utilizes a web belt. I found some nice pouches designed to slip on to a belt to carry stuff and I keep my rain jacket in that. When I THINK it is going to rain I slip it on my belt and I'm good to go.

As far as a net goes that gets trickier. I have a collapsible net that I made a holster for. That also goes on my belt. If you have a regular net you may want to look for a fishing shirt with a loop on the back that you could attach your net to or have someone that sews add a loop for you.

I just roll up my packable raincoat and put it in the back of my waders. The wader belt and lumbar pack keep it from sliding down. I also carry my two bottles of water there. That, plus the lumbar pack, take all the weight off my shoulders from a vest or chest pack and I feel much better at the end of the day. Also when I need to carry extra stuff I use a back pack, with most of the weight resting on the lumbar pack when the lumbar pack compartments are swiveled behind me. The only problem with the back pack is I feel the need to fill it up, don't ask me why.

+ Reply to Thread