+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carp

Default Carp

Does Any Body Know Of Any Good Carp Patterens Any Help Would Be Great Thanks Davidm

Buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Carp-Fly-Flyfi.../dp/1555661866 It is thee book on carp fishing with a fly rod. Check Ebay and you might find it cheaper.

Check out this podcast, very detailed indeed and worth the listen:

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/sp.../brad/brad.cfm
    You don't need an Ipod to listen to it. It will play on your computer.

A case for carp: http://www.rockymtnfly.com/features/case_for_carp.aspx

Carp video: http://www.flymartonline.com/modules...rticle&sid=333

Great carp video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc8KGLbiAi8

It you can't tell, I love to chase these things with a fly rod. I would much prefer to catch carp on the fly rod than brook trout. Love the big pull.

To answer your question specifically, anything that will work for trout wil work for carp. Caught my first one on a black crystal flash bugger. I throw many scud patterns and nymphs. I think that casting accuracy is more important than pattern most days. You have to place the fly with a foot of the nose or place the fly where the fish will intersect the fish's path. Go get 'em and bring a BIG net.

Rick

Great advise on the books. Also, good old Haresears and Prince Nymphs work.

Blog Entries

Default first carp on a fly

and today i caught my first carp on a #16 peeking caddis that someone on the FAOL swap board tied. i decided it was a carp because it looked like a trout but was all dark greyish brown and had a down-pointing mouth. fought just like a trout. when i held it to take out the hook, it felt stronger and tougher, though.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

The carp that I catch don't feel anything like the trout that I catch from the small spring creeks where I pursue them. They feel closer to steelhead than any brook or even an 18" brown.

I'm not slamming trout by the way because I love to chase them. For power and a fish that will consistantly take me into my backing, carp and small brookies just don't even compete.

Rick

CARP RULE. My all time favorite freshwater fish on a fly rod is the carp. Every chance I get i'm after the golden bones.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

I had one on my 7wt for about fifteen minutes a couple of weeks ago while fishing from my kayak. It took a # 12 Mallard Minnow as I was casting to whatever was chasing shad to the surface at a mud flat on a rivermouth on Lake James NC. It looked about six inches across the back when I got it up to my boat. It took one look at the hull of my kayak and it was gone with my Mallard Minnow. I can't wait to get back there.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

Back during the second WW (for fertilizer on our 'Victory Garden') we speared carp in the dredge-cuts of Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. Later on I shot them with a bow with a reel on it. Although considered a trash fish, we did utilize them.
    Having caught real bonefish, I still can't make the leap to thinking of carp as 'Golden Bones.' Sorry, prejudiced I guess. Elitist, purest, old *&%$ maybe...

Smile

Maybe your right I shouldn't insult the carp by compairing it to a bone fish. Maybe we should call them the Golden Kings. My best friend and fishing buddy has caught both and loves both but he has a hard time calling them golden bones also. Not me, to me CARP RULE
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

And I will defend your right to that opinion to the death. Call them anything you want, I'm with ya. Just that I come from a different time I guess.
    Oh, I love dem bonz tho..

+ Reply to Thread