+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New book arrived - Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques by Al & Gretchen Beatty

Hybrid View

Default New book arrived - Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques by Al & Gretchen Beatty

Just received Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques by Al & Gretchen Beatty. Thumbing through the index, the chapters are arranged by vice manufacturers. The book itself is choked full of detailed pictures and of course tying techniques. I am looking forward to reading this book.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I just got an E-mail from Amazon that my copy is en route.

Can't hardly wait.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Cool. mine should be enroute shortly then.

REE

You guys are gonna love it. Not to give to much away. But the historical section is very interesting. Let's just say rotary tying vises did not begin with Renzetti. Also interesting is Gretchen comes from a family of tyers. Now when I watch tying videos by Al & Gretchen I understand why Gretchen (an Al) are so good at tying.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Book

Tyrone,
    Dont you remember you were going to lend that book too me
    G

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Tyrone,
    Dont you remember you were going to lend that book too me
    G
    G-man,

I am still waiting on that Nor-Vise you were gonna buy me.

Actually, I am doing a trade with one of the members here. I am trading one of my DK's w/ accessories for his Nor-Vise w/ accessories.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi guys,

The book was a lot of fun but it also takes a bit of explanation. The tying sequences describe "action functions" because we rotate the vise to accomplish them but are using still pictures and text to get the job done. The picture(s) illustrates the main point but getting to that "place in time" is narrated in the text. So read carefully. The Drop Tie Off on page 26 might be of interest.

Also, we learned how to do a function after the book was written just before it was sent to the printer so when Amato asked for a pic of me tying for the cover I "hid" that trick on the cover. Look at the bobbin and how it is placed on the bobbin rest. By positioning your bobbin rest AND the bobbin as illustrated on the cover you never have to "re-wind your thread" before resuming tying after a rotary function. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks ,Al...just pulled the picture up from Amazon and tried it....another one of those...duh moments.

Now if I can get Amazon to send mine...they've got me down for May 2nd even though I ordered it early on with the rest of these folks

A little high jack here...I've had trouble maintaining the thread holder in position ...seems to work loose and require frequent tightening....I placed some O-rings which helps somewhat but it still needs tightening often.....any words of wisdom?.....{from anyone}....it's a Danvise

Thanks Al. We already have a 'review' in the works. I am sure it will be great.

I also ordered early on from Amazon but still have not rec'd an e-mail from them saying it is being sent. If they have them why can't they ship before May?

Dave

+ Reply to Thread