+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seeking opinions and suggestions

Default seeking opinions and suggestions

ok, so ive been following closely the conversations revolving around which type of personal watercraft everyone likes, and would like some opinions based on specific needs.

i need a flotable object (boat, canoe, kayak, float tube, etc.) that will handle reservoirs, small ponds, easy rivers and streams(read: slow moving currents), and also be exceptionally transportable. i fish mostly alone, but would occasionally enjoy the company of a fishing buddy. i need easy transportablity to move from point to point along a riverbank, easy maneuverability for tight, weedy areas along the sides of ponds, and easy propulsion, because i have a weak bladder and drink lots of coffee. also, the ability to maneuver in shallow waters as well as weed-clogged byways is important, though not imperative. there is the possibility that a child may want to join me on occasion, and i would like to include this consideration, though not make it a decisive factor. also, price is a consideration. i am not a wealthy man .

any opinions on which type of watercraft will suit my needs best, as well as possible recommendations/links on specific brands available, would be greatly appreciated. ive tried to give as much information as possible so you guys can make an appropriately informed opinion as to which style of craft will best suit my needs. ive never purchased a water craft before, and dont want to invest money in something that isnt going to work for me.

so all you guys that fish the same general situations listed above, please tell me what you use, and why you think it will work for me. i definately appreciate any and all input. just because i cant afford it, doesnt mean i cant consider it, so if youre recomendation is for a $1,000 boat of some sort, the reasons behind the recomendation may outway the high-end(IMO) price. SO FIRE AWAY!!

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

I really like my canoe, which is a Prowler, formerly made by Blue Hole. I would think any canoe of similar proportions would be just the ticket. It is easily cartopped by one person, once you get the hang of it. It is small enough to be paddled by one person, but can handle two. I find canoes a little more comfortable than kayaks, wiht just as shallow a draft. The only down side I can think of is that the wind does push the thing around.
    Here is a link: [url=http://www.evergreencanoe.com/prowler.html:55c4b]http://www.evergreencanoe.com/prowler.html[/url:55c4b]

Russ

Hi Chris,

While your question seems simple at
    first glance, it can be a complicated one.
    But taking in all that you say and based on
    a bit of experience with most types of
    small craft, including several of my own
    design and manufacture, I'd go with a
    canoe. The tube is not well suited for
    some of the grassy and shallow areas you
    mentioned, unless you like wading in the
    mud. The kayak will limit you in passengers
    in that you get a two man version and have
    to move the extra weight all the time just
    so you can handle the youth or buddy when
    the need arises. The porta boat JC mentioned is an interesting craft and I
    recently used one for the first time. I
    was favorably impressed with it's capabilities. We put two full grown adults
    in it and powered it with a 6hp outboard as
    well as a trolling motor for fishing. But
    the set up and take down is time consuming.
    Canoes are pretty durable, don't care how
    deep or shallow the water is, and will handle grassy or heavily structured waters
    quite well. More forgiving in getting in or
    out than a kayak and often stable enough to
    stand and fight a fish. You can even stand
    and accomplish the tinkle thing in most.

There are a lot of canoes to choose
    from and a wide variety of prices. The
    heavier the canoe, the cheaper. The light
    weight ones use high zoot materials and can
    quickly raise the price for a modest weight
    reduction. The weight is not problematic in
    the water, only in getting the craft from
    your vehicle to the water and back. I'd
    give the canoe some thought and particularly
    how to transport it to and from the water.
    If you can safely handle 75 pounds alone the
    options are many and much cheaper. Good
    luck Chris. Warm regards, Jim

Hey Chris. Jim Hatch nailed it. I agree.. a canoe. I've paddled and fished from folding boats (folbot), canoes, kayaks, motor boats, jon boats, and lord knows whatever else boats. Because you want to sometimes maybe be tandem, the canoe would be better for you than a kayak. You probably want one that is in the "sports" category, that is a bit shorter and wider than those made for cruising lakes at high speeds. Luckily for you, the sports canoes tend to be a bit less expensive than the cruisers. I'd give the most consideration to the boat's weight. The limiting factor for me as to whether I actually use any boat is whether I can get it from my yard to my vehicle and then to the water and back. I find that for myself, about 55 pounds is my upper limit and 45 is a much happier number. I dream of 35 in a price I can afford.

Some specific models of canoes to look at:

Mohawk Odyssey 15

Wenonah Fisherman, Heron, Kingfisher, Solo Plus

Bell Canoe Works Angler or Drifter

Mad River Explorer or Adventure

Old Town Discovery, Osprey, Predator

Hope this helps. Have fun figuring out your boat!

Diane

------------------
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

You "guys" are good!

Chris, there are many reasons to go in the direction of a canoe, and Jim hit on most of them. There's also a couple of reasons why canoes may not be the best for you.

1) When you're fly fishing on a lake with even a little bit of wind, you'll not be able to hold the canoe in position and cast and/or retrieve at the same time. Particularly if you have the big'un on at the moment.

2) If you need to park your car more than a few hundred feet from the water, portaging a canoe, while done all the time, ain't as much fun as we'd like to have.

Now, I have a 9' "TU Colorado " (top of page 115 in the 2005 Cabela's Fly Fishing catalog) pontoon boat that weighs 87 pounds unloaded, is hard to portage even with the removable bicycle wheel mounted on the front making it a silly looking wheelbarrow, and it will blow around in stronger winds on the lake. I car-top it on my Explorer and can put it up there myself (when I've eaten my Wheaties for breakfast anyway).

I can maneuver this thing either by fins, oars, or electric trolling motor. With fins I can keep it in place on the water in light to medium winds and with the oars I can get to and from "my spot" quite easily. I don't have the motor but I have the option some day when I get old and gray (each year brings me closer to that).

I really like the SS Orange Julius (as my friends call it) but I'm not real self opinionated (hah!) so I'll just say it's not for you either.

But, there are smaller pontoon boats for sale at Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabela's that are back packable, costing around $200 or so that may meet your needs. I'm sure some of the other FAOLers have those guys and will give some reports as this thread goes on. Seems to me Plain Old Jim just bought one a couple weeks ago...maybe he'll chime in here.

Jim Hatch, my friend, as an aside, I'm not anti-canoe by advocation....in fact I used to teach (a thousand years ago) canoeing to a myriad of folks as a Red Cross Small Craft Instructor (oh my gosh that was a long time ago) and I've also taken several 50 milers with the Scouts over the years. It's just that I never learned to cast/retrieve and keep the canoe in the same place in light winds or currents. That's why I have feet I guess, so they can wear the fins to keep me positioned while fly fishing. Oh and I 'spect I can chug my pontoon boat along over the lake with oars about as fast as one guy can paddle his 10' canoe when the lightning and thunder tell us to get the heck off the lake.

Diane, your message came on while I was doing this one....you have good points too. But I still like my 'toon for fly fishing.

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

[This message has been edited by Silvertop2 (edited 16 August 2005).]

Just one more thing to consider: Its harder to cast sitting down in a canoe or a kayak. Thats why I have a pontoon boat. The Skykomish Sunrise even has a casting platform where you can stand and have something to lean on while you cast.
    Migs

Didn't Rick Z solve the blown around problem some time ago with a 2 anchor system?
    My early years of flyfishing were mostly from a canoe and casting from a sitting position is harder but at least in a canoe you are a little high and dryer than a tube!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

To serve your needs (which seem to be all-around needs) canoe.
    Guy here helped me with casting and drift problems. As for drift in wind - on stillwater (might work on a stream too ) use a drogue to slow you down. I also found a double anchor works well (with 2 people in the canoe - troublesome alone).
    As for casting, sit on your knees (with pads) and put something under your butt so you don't burn out your ankles. I use a 3 gallon water bucket. Makes for a nice extra PFD ... should I need it.
    I picked up a Coleman 17ft canoe (my treat for just quitting smoking yrs back). Wide hull, higher freeboards. The RAMXX material holds well to the beatings I give it. Yeah - woulda loved an aluminum .... But the Coleman comes in at 70 lbs - I'm able to haul that when I need to ........ for now.
    It's steady enough for kids - nervous ones too who shake & jostle the craft. With 2 adults and 2 kids - it takes a good list to roll it (then they want to keep dumping it ...).
    Works, versatile ... that's my plug. ... I also have a V-Tube - solitary and comfortable like all can be. Great when you need time alone.

My 0.02$.

I use a canoe.

I can "hold" my own in wind with a sea anchor (a bucket tied to the canoe).

I use 2 anchors and cmlock pullies on the river.

I can transport it alone, ... even though it's 17 ft. It can take on lakes, rivers, swamps and rocks!

When I'm alone, ... a few big rocks in the bow and I'm all trimmed out flat. I have no problem casting as I cast standing up

Photo: Pierre Poisson

A pontoon would be a second choice (for me), ... except I already have a float tube for those lazy days on still water.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:6d6cd]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:6d6cd]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 16 August 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread