Hi,

As you guys all know, I'm an enthusiast (but still welcome the use of any kind of leader by any angler who prefers something different... the "different strokes" idea)

BUT

I always use furled leaders, and I'm elbow deep in them even when I'm far from water, so I get to talking furling quite a bit, good fun.

Last weekend, I talked with someone in Minneapolis who had been hired by the Fish and Wildlife Service to spend the entire month of September fishing for Dolly Varden trout for their research. (That alone sounded pretty good to me.) He told me that he made up some furled leaders for the trip. He lived outdoors, fishing in all kinds of conditions, in full view of the Gates of the Arctic. He caught 250 Dolly Varden, and said that he would have caught every one of them on the same furled leader except, I believe he said that he accidentally cut his first one, so he switched to a second.

Also...

This winter, someone called me from a cruise ship. He was just back on board after catching his first tarpon on a furled leader... I know catching tarpon is no small feat, I've seen them in the Florida Gulf. But for someone who makes small leaders and mostly fishes dries, this was a great image for me!

I'm sure you all have stories as well. Just thought I'd post these

Kat