OK, guys, the question is more concerned with leaders than an actual knot. I've looked thru the bulletin board, but can't find the answer I need.
First, I am casting a 3 wt for small stream trout. I use a Cortland 444 Peach DT3F with a Jim Cramer furled leader with a loop connection at the tippet end. I had been using a surgeon's loop to attach the 5x or 6x tippet to the leader, but when I snagged, the tippet kept breaking at the loop's knot (just as described in an earlier post). I, too, don't like leaving 3 or 4 ft of mono hanging in a tree, or a stream, or a trout's mouth with my fly. I like the idea of a loop to loop connection for flexibility, so I don't want to change that.
My question? Should I use a short piece of bigger tippet (say 3x) with a loop to loop connection toward the reel and then knot my tippet to that shorter piece? That would allow the changeability of the loop to loop, but a stronger knot at the loop.
Taking into account the larger short piece of tippet, the knot should be stronger than the 5x itself, shouldn't it?
I've gotten mega amounts of info from FAOL and I figured you guys would have some good advice and ideas about this.
What size and length of transition do you recommend, if that's the way to go? Or is there another, better solution?

JC and LF, I've been reading FAOL for about 6 years now and learn something new everyday. I was even at the Idaho Fish-In a couple of years ago and met you. You guys are a class act!! And all the pirates aren't as bad as they want us to believe.
Thanks in advance,
Mike