+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA GPX problem

Hybrid View

Default SA GPX problem

Anyone else here have problems with the welded loop coming apart on your SA line? I have put maybe 3hrs of fishing on mine and it is cracking and coming apart. I know that the leader can be nail notted but I like the loop system and I paid $60 for this line. Hopefully for that price they will last a while. I keep my line clean and do no dry ground casting, only over water. I have an email in to Buffalo Outfitters Flyshop where I bought it. Hopefully they can make it right. If I had abused my equiptment I wouldn't bother with it but that's not the case. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Thanks!

If you like the line, snip off the existing loop, nail knot on a 5-6" butt section of an otherwise spent leader (or some heavy mono), make a loop... zap/super glue the trimmed end of the line to make water proof. I don't usually use the built in loops, too many failures.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

While I am a nail knot guy and cutt off the loops I know that many like them. Make sure that the loop to loop connection is tied properly. There is an off shore version of the loop to loop that might work better for you as well. Check out the link: http://www.fishandfly.com/articles/20060908_2

http://www.bhptackle.com/pages.php?pageid=14

http://www.thaifishingguide.com/fish...ion_steps.html

If done improperly the leader will cut through the fly line, again, learn to tie a good nail not and never look back. They are slimmer and go through the guides better. Coat with a pliobond or I use UV knot glue for an instant knot on the water and life is good.

Rick

I've used SA GPX and Trout lines w/ the loop for about 6 months now with zero problems either line. Call SA and tell them, I'd be willing to say they will send you a new line.
    Mark 1:17

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna give SA a call first. If that doesn't work out I'll just go with the nail not. I can do a descent nail not but have gotten spoiled on the loops. Thanks and Happy easter!

I'm not sure how to say this, just my opinion I guess. All those 'thingies', loops and such might be fine for delicate work but when I really any line the loop will not survive too long. I think it's a hinging problem mostly. I put a loop in my leader and just tie my fly line to it. For me, loops just add to 'things that can go wrong'.
    ooops, John, as you know I am not a fan of the Fail-knot either unless just for tiny troutie stuff where it has to go all the way back onto the reel to land a fish. I never tied one that was right. If it was tight it cut the coating; if not tight it slipped off; if perfect,,, a big fish would pull the coating right off the core. Nope, sorry, mostly,,, knot for me.

+ Reply to Thread