I pulled into the parking area at Courtner's Mill on the Duck River here in Tennesse about 10:30 this morning. Rons81 was to meet me there at 11. It was a very clear and sunny day about 60 degrees and predicted to be 70 by early afternoon.
Another fly fisher was getting ready to hit the stream about that time and I introuduced myself. It was Steve, first time on the Duck and asked for any advice I may have. Oh my God!! Someone is asking me for advice?
Well just stay to the right when wading down stream, there are some 6 - 7 inch ledges to watch for and a lot of logs along that side just past the first island. (Which is the best place to be but it was covered up with spin fishers at the time). They just stocked yesterday so it should be pretty good if you have some weighted olive buggers.
About this time Ron drove in and we made introductions and maybe told a few lies! Steve headed off into the river while Ron and I "Suited" up.
There were 2 spinfishers in the hole right off the island and another down stream from them. We waded through the ledges and logs further down streanm and began throwing everything we had but with out much luck, a couple of bumps was about all! It was a beautiful day so who cared!!
I kept an eye on the upstream spot I like and soon it cleared out. I told Ron I was heading there to stake a claim for us.
First cast, across and mend, furled fluorocabon leader down deep, mend again, let it set, let it set some more, then a slow short strip in and Bingo!! First trout of the day!! I looked down stream and Ron was also hooked up!! This is going to be a good day!! Soon I had another fisty trout to hand and then another! Then I heard a voice behind me. It was Steve, "How you doing" he asked as he slid back into the river. "How'd you do" was my response. "Not too great" was his. "But it sure is a great day"! I told him to come on over and share my spot, "You sure, Jack? I don't want to get in your way"! He fished and we talked, he caught a few of those fiesty 'bows and we learned a lot about each other, another TN friendship.
Soon Ron waded up stream to join us and Steve moved on up stream. Ron and I ended up with a total of 30 trout brought to hand today. It was a grand day, good fishing and good friends!
P.S. The bait fishers only took 3 trout out of the same hole!