The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good-
I just started furling my own leaders and after about 4 tries, I'm making leaders that work fairly well. It was a beautiful day today and I decided to try one out. I made three that are worth trying out. One is about 5', the middle was5'8", and the longest was about 6'6". I decided to try the 5 footer and it worked very well, even with a tail wind. I caught a bass on a nymph and was rather happy that my leader worked out so well.

The Bad-
I attached a Cortland Leader Loop to my fly line a few days ago to make change-overs a little easier. It worked very well for a while until I noticed a whipping sound on the back cast. The loop failed and I lost my leader and nymph.

The Ugly-

I recommend that if you use these, do not use the shrink tube that comes with the package. Nail knots are much more secure. That, I learned from a previous mishap. And today's incident taught me to secure the loop itself a bit better. Probably a nail knot there also. Or some super-glue.

The directions for the use of this product do not suggest securing the loop. It just says to slip it on over the fly line and secure with shrink tube.