+ Reply to Thread

Thread: first rod kit

Hybrid View

Default first rod kit

I have been wanting to build a rod for quite some time and was wondering your thoughts on the Pacific Bay "RAINFOREST" Sale! 30% OFF that is currently on for the next day at Hook & Hackle. Is this a reasonable kit at a reasonable price to start with? Other than tools is there anything that the kit doesn't have that I should know about?

Thnaks...Rob
    You think the fish are Big here in Labrador...Wait till you see the Flies

IMO, this is a reasonabale kit -- my first was a H&H kit. Everything was included and components were of good quality. For my particular taste, I think the action is on the slower side but this is preference more than anything. If this is your first build, then don't go for the most expensive components, etc -- go with a kit. The actual rod building process is not difficult -- it does take some time to learn the steps and that is OK -- and I would advise to go slow and take the time to do a nice job. Rent of borrow a rod turning device to apply and dry the epoxy -- probably can rent one from the local fly shop.

I would also recommend going through the various threads on this part of the bulletin board and just read some of the information that is available from the members.

Read the Al Campbell information. It is pretty good stuff but supplement it by reading some other books and asking questions of the FAOL participants.

My first rod came out OK -- and I thought it was good at the time- now when I look at it, I can see so many mistakes that I made. However, I learned alot on the first run through that helped with the second. The second came out better than the first by a lot. The third better than the second, etc.

You will make mistakes -- most won't be fatal to the project -- in the end, you are building a tool to use to throw a line and flies. It doesn't have to be pretty or perfect to do that.

Overall, have fun, learn from it, and I'll bet you build another few rods after this one. On the subsequent builds, you can start picking out reel seats, cork, different styles/types of guides, etc.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 03-21-2008 at 01:22 PM.

if you haven't made a purchase yet, check out the H&H tradition kit. it's 10% off right now and a good value. the first two rods i built were the H&H tradition 7'9" 3 wt. and 9' 4 wt. the 3 wt. is a little stiff for my taste, but the 4 wt. is one of my favorites.

can't go wrong either way imho, have fun!

Jeremy

What stinkbait said! Can't go wrong with the Tradition II
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread