Some time ago, I offered some pictures of flies tied by a young enthusiast here in Nashville. His name is Ken Yamazaki, he is 11 years old, self taught (mostly) and is quite talented as you can see by his work.

He has been tying for about a year now and his talent never ceases to amaze me. His very first fly was a beautiful Salmon fly and that was last April or May, somewhere in that time frame. He came in once and asked me to show him how to spin deer hair and I spent maybe 20 minutes with him showing him a few techniques. The following Saturday, he came back and gave me a small fish that he had tied, completely out of spun deer hair and immaculately trimmed to resemble a very small fish. I thought that was very clever, then one day I found the fly that he had tied in one of our fly tying books and I asked him if that was what he had tied and he told me that he had seen it and wanted to tie one like it.

I really thought that you would enjoy seeing what his young man is doing and has only been tying for nearly a year now. Pretty remarkable to say the least. Enjoy!!