First, I am sorry to post such a thread as I am sure you get bombarded with these requests. Last time I was in the paddling forum a year ago it seemed as if there were 100's of discussions on topics like this and my intent was to wade thru them for info I am looking for.

Second, I am recently relocated to Wisconsin and have quickly realized their is more opportunity fishing on the lakes here and not the rivers. (Not that there isnt quality river fishing) After evaluating my options and finances, I have made the decision to get a canoe.

My parameters are as follows;
I will fish both alone and with a partner. Ideally something lightweight would be helpful for when I am alone
I prefer to use a trolling motor and plan on a side mount vs the square back, unless I hear differently
I mostly Fly Fish, but my companions will probably spin cast and I may also do some
I dont have a price range persay, but I also dont see/know/understand the difference between a $400 Coleman and a $2000 high end model. What am I looking for in the differences?

Based on the above, what are some recommendations and what criteria should I look for in making a purchase? Most likely I will buy used so Im not certain I care about which specific model, but am curious what does the extra money get me for higher end models and what sizes/dimensions are better suited to this type of use. I may sometime, but rarely will I use this on a river so stability is probably better then the ability to whitewater it.

It seems prices can vary widely, yet the offerings are similiar so I feel I am missing something in my research. Ive seen $2k and $3k canoes and they are still 84 lbs, so what does that money get you??

Curious here, and thank you in advance for all your responses