+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canoes for Dummies, 101

Default Canoes for Dummies, 101

First, I am sorry to post such a thread as I am sure you get bombarded with these requests. Last time I was in the paddling forum a year ago it seemed as if there were 100's of discussions on topics like this and my intent was to wade thru them for info I am looking for.

Second, I am recently relocated to Wisconsin and have quickly realized their is more opportunity fishing on the lakes here and not the rivers. (Not that there isnt quality river fishing) After evaluating my options and finances, I have made the decision to get a canoe.

My parameters are as follows;
    I will fish both alone and with a partner. Ideally something lightweight would be helpful for when I am alone
    I prefer to use a trolling motor and plan on a side mount vs the square back, unless I hear differently
    I mostly Fly Fish, but my companions will probably spin cast and I may also do some
    I dont have a price range persay, but I also dont see/know/understand the difference between a $400 Coleman and a $2000 high end model. What am I looking for in the differences?

Based on the above, what are some recommendations and what criteria should I look for in making a purchase? Most likely I will buy used so Im not certain I care about which specific model, but am curious what does the extra money get me for higher end models and what sizes/dimensions are better suited to this type of use. I may sometime, but rarely will I use this on a river so stability is probably better then the ability to whitewater it.

It seems prices can vary widely, yet the offerings are similiar so I feel I am missing something in my research. Ive seen $2k and $3k canoes and they are still 84 lbs, so what does that money get you??

Curious here, and thank you in advance for all your responses

I'd be willing to bet there are little fishing rigs for sale all over your area. Many times you can pick up something like that for a song.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I agree with BBW, I bought my Coleman for $150 at a garage sale, check your local ad paper, put a wanted notice on Craig's list etc. you will find one. The thing I don't like about my Coleman is not its weight its the bulk, I need a better way of transporting it.

Eric

prices vary according to materials used on the build. roto-moulded vs. fiberglas vs. composite(kevlar). in aluminum its the gauge(thickness) of material and number of ribs, type keel (if one), rivets etc. some squarebacks are wider than others thus creating a more stabile platform. also the "bling" adds up....cane seats vs. webbing etc. just take your time and do the research. ive had my canoe for about 30 years and now having a wood/canvas canoe being built for me in maine. they are a great source of enjoyment so be sure you get the one that will serve you best.

Chuck,
    If I were to buy another canoe for needs similar to yours, there is one I would look for (new or used), & that's the Wenonah Fisherman in Royalex. It's 14' long, 52 pounds, wide & stable, yet said to paddle well for a short & wide canoe. One review I read said it was the only canoe the reviewer could get in standing up with no fear of capsizing.
    Hey, we'll miss you at the Virginia Fly Fishing Festival next month. How are you doing up north?
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default canoe

Hey Mike,

I am definitely going to miss the Festival and most of all your Fudge! I was back in VA for work in December and my friend who was at the festival with me last year and I ran up to Waynesboro for a quick trip. Did well on soft hackles, so dont forget them on your trip out.

I have seen many on craigslist as Eric mentioned, including a Coleman for $250 which seems reasonable...only again Im not sure what I am looking at. You mentioned the short, wide canoes generally not being easy to maneuver. Is this a concern if your primarily using a trolling motor? I suppose there are always time you will need to employ paddles of course, but does that minimize the concern of manueverability at all?

Wisconsin is a beautiful place Mike, different then Virginia but it is home, family, long winters, and all. Lets just say if Spring doesnt crack here soon, you might find me naked in the middle of a frozen river with a fly rod in hand having a nervous breakdown
    Shack Nasties are in full swing

Good hearing from you and thanks for the advice everyone~

Chuck

Chuck,
    To clear up my earlier post, the shorter canoes are EASIER to maneuver, just generally a lot slower to paddle, & not sufficient for an extended canoe trip such as the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota. I have owned a number of canoes over the years, & other than stability, my #1 factor in a search for canoes now would be weight. At least for someone my age with a "less than 100% shoulder", I would look to keep the weight under 60 pounds.
    Check out the Wenonah website & reviews on their "Fisherman". It would definitely be my choice & you can find them used at a decent price.
    Thanks for the tip on the soft hackles...will have some with me. What river(s) did you fish?
    Mike

Default VA

Just the South river in Wayneboro. I think a total of 6 or 7 bows that day, largest being around 15 inches. The really seemed to hammer it as it flew by in the various riffles high in the pools. Of course, that will be a full 5 months earlier then when you are out there!

I think I will try the South while at the show. They were getting trout high-sticking through that quick, deep little run just downstream of the bridge last year. Nymphs or buggers may be the ticket there.
    You're in a beautiful part of the country now Chuck, just too short of a season for me. Good luck, stay in touch & let us know if & when & what canoe you end up with.
    Mike

Default good source of reviews

I would suggest that you go to the "Products Reviews" section on the Paddle.net website (http://www.paddling.net/). There are lots of reviews on lots of boats. There is a tendency for the reviews to be very positive - kind of a love the one you're with response. But there is still plenty of good information. You might also take a look in the "classified ads" section and see if anyone near you has a boat for sale that you might be interested in. Used canoes can be a great deal but hard to find.

David

+ Reply to Thread