+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furled, or not?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Furled, or not?

I'm curious as to how many of you use furled leaders and prefer them....
    Before I start buying bunches of mono and everything else and make leaders, I'd like to determine which types of leaders I want to stick with. I never heared about furled until recently, and never thought about it until right now, well...30 seconds ago.

What are the pros and cons? Everyone has been very helpful with all my other noob questions, and since I'm just about set on leaders, I need to know about furled. One last question though, do furled follow the same pattern of the other? Such as 60% of 20lb, 20% of 10lb etc etc?

Thanks a ton,
    Shane

Oh, Shane...you are movin fast.....

Normand Guest

try doing a search on this site for lots of information on furled leaders

Shane:

Like all things fly fishing there are LOTS of opinions on furled leaders. Take Normand's advice and do a search on this site. After you digest all of that; you really have to try a few to make up your own mind whether or not you will like them for your particular type of fishing.

I will say that I don't think that a furled leader is the answer to all fly fishing problems nor do I think it is the only leader worth using; but I will say that I use them and LOVE them! But it is the THREAD furled leaders I am crazy about, not the mono versions but I use them only for trout fishing so your mileage may vary if you are pursuing other species.

I recommend you invest a few bucks and buy a mono furled leader from anyone who sells the Blue Sky leaders or try one of the Feather Craft mono leaders. After that, ask someone who furls to make you a THREAD furled leader to try as well. The best advice I can offer you is DON'T make up your mind until you try a THREAD leader. I don't furl so I can't help you there but there are plenty who do that may offer their creations for sale to experiment with before you take the plunge into making them yourself.

BTW - I am interested too. .

Made my own furled leader at the beginning of last year. Thanks FAOL!!!!!!!
    That is all I use ever since. Mono, thread and PowerPro superbraid are the materials I've tried so far. Thread is awsome for anything below 5wt. Power pro for bigger rigs if you want floating leader. mono for sinking.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I've been using my own hand tied mono leaders for over 20 years.
    I use probably a dozen different lengths ,diameters and tapers, maybe more.
    For me the hand tied leaders are a lot more practical and I have little reason to switch to the "latest thing"

Then again, I used a fiberglass rod until well into the 90's before I got one of those new fangled graphite poles.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

OttoDita; might be a good idea to buy one and try it before you invest in all the materials. I bought three different sizes from Feather-Craft and used the 7' on French Creek (PA) this past weekend. It turned over my roll-cast perfectly and laid out the fly well when I could get a short cast in.

But, you might not like them.

Jim

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sentell View Post
    OttoDita; might be a good idea to buy one and try it before you invest in all the materials. I bought three different sizes from Feather-Craft and used the 7' on French Creek (PA) this past weekend. It turned over my roll-cast perfectly and laid out the fly well when I could get a short cast in.

But, you might not like them.

Jim
    I'll apologize up front for hijacking this thread....Jim, I was on the French this last Saturday using a 5 ft furled leader. Got there about 11:00 or so, when were you there? How'd you do?

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot everyone. I did some research lastnight on the whole process. All I have to say is WOW. Looks fairly simple, as the process, but I'm sure what it looks like and what it is are two different things. I *Almost* pounded some nails into the hard wood flooring here to give it a try. But, my wife was awake at the time I'm going to give a leader a try and see how I like it compared to the hand tied tapered. Jack is very generous and going to send me one so I'll use it when I head out for the first time and see how it goes. I kind of want to make furled instead, since I hate tying knots, and also hate trying to decide what lb test to go with for leader tapers, it confuses me so much. But you're all very right.

Jack, will send it now. Thanks so very much, very appreciated.
    Shane

OttoDita,

Jack Hise (Sir) and Kaboom1 got me started with using furled leaders last year. I even went as far as buying Kathy Scott's dvd and building my on board and making my own furled leaders. Up until that time I mainly used tapered mono leaders by Froghair and Orvis. Now I have choices to better fit the situation I am fishing.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread