+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone attend the FFF Conclave Last Week?

Default Anyone attend the FFF Conclave Last Week?

If so, how was it? Any reports? Anyone try for Casting Certification?

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I wish...... I haven't been in several years despite living 20 miles away and I had to go out to Californica so I could watch somebody that I haven't seen in over 10 years get married this past weekend. I had a friend from Wyoming and another from Texas up for the Conclave and have only talked to one since I got back. I fished with the guy from Wyoming on Monday and he said it was pretty cool again but that they are moving the conclave to Bozeman next year since Livingston just doesn't seem to have the "facilities." Don't know how true it is, but that's what he said. He also said that he had a damn good time at the tying demos, wished he would have gotten on the DePuy's list and had a damn good time searching the local waters.

Why don't they ever plans these things around MY schedule?!?!?!?!

------------------
    Warren F.
    Bozeman, MT

Just returned from Montana yesterday. Ken and I attended for 2 days. Several thoughts, positive and negative...

The instructors were awesome. Ken attended 2 fly tying classes and was very happy with the sessions as well as the instructors.
    I attended 2 casting sessions and agree that the level of expertise in the instructors was first class.

Organizationally...there were issues.
    Class space was not scheduled appropriately to the size of the classes and many were moved adding confusion with several starting late. In addition, the FFF collected the fees for class materials which had not been passed along to the instructors again causing much confusion.

No food on-site so that one had to leave to get lunch. While there were restaurants close by, the large numbers of folks trying to get served in a short period of time made it impossible.

FFF did not provide lunch or water to the instructors. This is a major oversight since most are sharing their expertise without charge to the FFF. Luckily, I keep water and snacks with us when we travel and was able to provide some assistance to one instructor that had been unable to get lunch between sessions.

There were 13 candidates in the CI test. Based on what I saw and heard, more than half failed. The written test is in dire need of revision. I'm one that will be taking the test again...

The highlight for me was meeting and hearing Joan Wulff. She was a surprise speaker/visitor (to the attendees) at the CI test.

Next year's Conclave will be in Bozeman in July! Not an optimum month in my opinion and we will not attend.

They have a lot of work to do on the organizational side.

If they are moving it to Bozeman it has nothing to do with the place they hold it. It is more an excuse. The High School is plenty big enough for them. From what I have herd (And I live here) The numbers were down from past years. Now I am not saying that is what I said, I am saying that is what I have herd localy.
    If they are moving to Bozeman it is for one reason and that is money. More people over there and they are figuring to get more walk in traffic through the doors by having it over there. Just a guess on my part. Plus there is a lot more money over in Bozeman. Livingston is the "Across the tracks place now" when compared to Bozeman. Not trying to start anything that is just the way it is.
    In fact I think it is a smart move on there part. In years past it didn't matter much but now with all the people that have moved here Bozeman is the place to be. In fact I wouldn't be supprised to see the whole thing move over there. Ron

Pretty sad I even forgot it was last week. I may not send my Certifacation money this year for renewal.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread