+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 97th ACA National Casting Tournament - A Question?

Default The 97th ACA National Casting Tournament - A Question?

Perhaps I missed it when I read this article and previous articles. Is there a specific distance or accuracy casting event for which the participants must use standard factory equipment with a maximum size of 9' 5 weight as well as specific size tapered leader? In other words, something that you or I might use for trout. If so, what are the specifications for the equipment allowed?

Thanks.

Allan

In a word, NO, but you could if you want. Here is the link to the regulations. [url=http://www.americancastingassoc.org/RulesAndRegs/RulesAndRegs.html:7c57e]http://www.americancastingassoc.org/RulesAndRegs/RulesAndRegs.html[/url:7c57e]
    The line dia. restriction for Trout Fly = DT6F. The real restrictions are the demands of the event. The Dry Fly has a hackle dia. of 3/4 inches and is quite wind resistant. The Trout Fly event requires a roll-cast of 55ft. All targets are from 25 to 55' (except for bass bug where the farthest is 65 to 70'). So often casters use 7wt for Dry Fly, 6wt for Trout Fly, and 8 or 9wt for Bass Bug. Particularly since the events are outdoors there is some advantage to being over-gunned in the breeze.

Greg - Thanks - Allan

Allan, the flies which were used for the casting 'games' at the DRC which you took part in were the 'official' ACA flies.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Allen if I may- I think you got the idea on the 5 wgt rods size and line from the ESPN Fly Fishing Games. If I am not mistaken that is what they had to use while compeating in the casting games and for distance. At least that is what I remember them using.

As for the ACA rods, they are for the most part made to the speck's of the caster or he or she makes there own. I know I made all of mine. Lots of things different in that game. Like the over sized guides on most rods for distance casting to the size of the shooting heads you have to use. Not the same as casting the normal fishing outfit. Ron

Deanna, RW here

The DRC Fish-in, 2002, one of the great FAOL get togethers as I remember.

I believe that was the fish-in where one of our great power-casting gurus, Ray Dubois, came in second to a young 16-year-old lad from Canada named Fishstick (Eric Riley). Seems Ray was so engrossed in the final thrust of his power cast he stepped on his line, thereby falling into second place, ending his reign as perennial champion. Meanwhile JC was running around telling everyone that if he had entered he would have won easily. Right!

Fishstick won the contest, but shared a similar fate, when the crowd cheered so loudly for him to break the hundred foot mark he lost his concentration and fell short by a foot-and-a-half. Sigh.

I know this for a fact because official Al Thomas and I were the official measuring officials that took the official measurements, wrote them on the official piece of yellow paper, and passed the results on to head official Ron Kusse.

Ray was devastated and spent the rest of the afternoon off by himself muttering inchoherencies and practicing his casting with JC's broomstick.

Anyone who would like more detailed information on this little piece of FAOL history can e-mail me with questions and comments. I'll answer them to the best of my ability. After all, I was the official.

Later, RW

---------------------------------
    In the immortal words of Bob Farley: "I'm a schizophrenic and so am I".

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

LOL, RW I actualy hid in my room. COOKING!!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

JC, RW here,

C'mon man, I'm gettin old. I forget things. Either that or I'll plead insanity.
    It's all moot anyway, because if Deanna had entered she'd have beaten everbody.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 17 August 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Hi Ron,

Actually I wasn't thinking of any specific event. I was simply asking if there was a 'distance casting event' where only your typical stream/river trout fishing equipment was allowed. To be more specific, these might be the criteria:
    All of the items must be commercially available to the public and used as it came off the shelf**:
    Rod - length 5' to 9', maximum line weight 5.
    Reel - any.
    Line - any, but not customized.
    Leader & Tippet - min. 7-1/2', max. 9' total
    length.
    Fly - will be provided.

** In all cases, a panel of judges will have the final say whether the equipment meets the criteria.

How's that?

Allan

Hey Allen The only one that I know of like I said was the ESPN Games. They used off the shelf equipment and they all had to use the same thing if I am not mistaken. But that is history now as ESPN was not making enough money off of it so it went bye-bye. No more Fly Fishing contest on ESPN do to the fact that Bass fishing has a bigger following. Thus more money and more sponers.

There may be some local contests that I do not know about.
    The only other thing that I have read about is the casting contest that will be held this fall in Sept. At the Catskill Fly Fishing Center back were you live? Here is the write up I read on it.

"SUMMERFEST-On Saturday, September 3rd, the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum will hold it's Annual Summerfest and Angler's Market. The event will take place on the grounds of the Center from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This one day event features activities, craft persons, and fly fishing vendors from the N.E. section of the country. There are fly tying demonstrations, antique tackle appraisals, casting demos and the 4th Annual Great Catskill Fish Race. There will be, for the first time, a challenging 10-station set-up where fly fisherman of all skills can hone their casting skills. There will also be a competition of these skills. Admission is $2 per car with all proceeds going to support the CFFCM. "

Hope that helps you a mite my friend. Ron

+ Reply to Thread